Canless wafers in vinyl soffit

johnfluevogs

Occupation
Engineer
I am installing some canless wafers in a vinyl soffit. Curious if anyone has any clever solutions for the gaping holes left by the ribs in the vinyl soffit...see picture.

Attachments

• 20231209_105621.jpg
    20231209_105621.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 12

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Some white exterior caulk. You may need to fine-tune the shape with a wet plastic spoon as it cures.

kwired

Electron manager
I agree with the white caulk. My question is will the vinyl be able to handle the weight of the unit over time? If fastened to a framing member rather close it maybe will or if you have some kind of backing material to help support it it probably fine.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
How about the right diameter of foam backer rod? You might have to paint it if you can't find white.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
You need to plug the holes-- all sorts of insects and critters will find the soffit an inviting winter refuge and summer nesting spot!

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
?? There millions of tiny holes in that soffit, large one won't make a difference
There are plenty of insects that would be desirable to exclude that won't fit through the tiny holes, but would fit through holes left at the ribs in the OP. Sealing that channel is a no-brainer to me.

Cheers, Wayne

kwired

Electron manager
There are plenty of insects that would be desirable to exclude that won't fit through the tiny holes, but would fit through holes left at the ribs in the OP. Sealing that channel is a no-brainer to me.

Cheers, Wayne
The hole at the canless luminaire is minimal if the cut was for a tight fit. The gaps at the ends of the panel that are hidden by J trims and such are larger, but you can't seal them as the ends need to be able to move as the panel expands/contracts with temperature changes.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Depending on how tight the hole is and the design of the wafer you may not need anything. These halo ones close the hole fairly tightly.

Halo Wafer.jpg