Capacitive Reactance

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
Not a bad overall explanation. But I take issue with one point, that Stray Voltage (typically Neutral-Earth Voltage, NEV) is usually associated with dairies. It is no more common at dairies than at any other farm or rural distribution environment, where metallic neutral runs are long and ground electrodes in the supply system are fewer and farther between. And it can easily occur in residential situations too.

But dairies are much more affected by NEV since cows with their four footed stance are more susceptible to voltage gradients in the earth and even small perceived voltages in the earth or to metallic contacts like feed and water troughs will have a severe effect on milk production.

Should it be called "Stray Current" instead of "Stray Voltage". It's the current that stop the heart, not the voltage.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Should it be called "Stray Current" instead of "Stray Voltage". It's the current that stop the heart, not the voltage.
The age old debate! Right up there with ground up or down in its unresolvability and ability to polarize discussion.

I favor Stray Voltage because the voltage is there regardless of whether anybody or any creature is in the area to be affected by it.
The NEV, for example, can be sensitively measured statically, without drawing any significant current. But I agree that the biological effects result from the current when the body interacts with the environment.
But the same measured voltage can be caused by simple capacitive coupling, with very limited available current, while NEV can actually support a much larger current if the target's resistance is low enough. Limited mostly by the earth connection impedance.

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
The age old debate! Right up there with ground up or down in its unresolvability and ability to polarize discussion.

I favor Stray Voltage because the voltage is there regardless of whether anybody or any creature is in the area to be affected by it.
The NEV, for example, can be sensitively measured statically, without drawing any significant current. But I agree that the biological effects result from the current when the body interacts with the environment.
But the same measured voltage can be caused by simple capacitive coupling, with very limited available current, while NEV can actually support a much larger current if the target's resistance is low enough. Limited mostly by the earth connection impedance.

I guess why GFCI are measured in ma instead of voltage ?