Car charger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello - I am installing a car charger next week. It is a Siemens VersiCharge Universal VC30GRYU and I will be installing on the side of the house. It is rated at 30 amps so I thought I would install 6-2 Romex and put it on a 40 amp breaker. It appears that I can go into the unit with 3/4" flex pipe and hardwire the unit. Do I need a disconnect outside or is the unit itself the disconnect? This is my first charger I'm wiring - is there anything else I'm missing? Thank you

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
30 amps is the output, Siemens requires a 40 amp circuit so you could use #8 or #6 conductors. Any reason why you're not using a cord and plug connection which would qualify as a disconnecting means.

So I take it by your answer that if its cord and plug I would not need a disconnect but if I hardwired it I would. Can you recommend any type of enclosure for the outside outlet if I went that route. Thanks

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Article 625 covers EVSEs. (2017) 625.43 says in part

625.43 Disconnecting Means For electric vehicle supply equipment rated more than 60 amperes or more than 150 volts to ground, the disconnecting means shall be provided and installed in a readily accessible location. . . .
Your 40 amp, 120 volts to ground EVSE does not require a local disconnect.

Cheers, Wayne

MAC702

Or a plain 60a AC disconnect. $12.

Man, you're getting ripped off.

But the point is valid. These things are cheap.

I've only done a couple car chargers so far, but I do everything possible to convince them to install the largest one we possibly can. I'm not familiar with the exact one you're putting in, but 120V capability is usually for when that's all you can get in a feasible manner.

I don't see installing #6 wire, only to limit it to 40A. And did someone say it's really only 30A of 120V? Even if they get by with this, I'll bet they upgrade it for their next one.

Status
Not open for further replies.