Car wash bay

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I have car wash bay where there are electric panelboards. In order to avoid changing nema rating of the panelboards the designer is now going to enclose them in closet as shown below.

Car wash is considered wet location however if they are enclosed in closet then would inside the closet still be considered wet location?

dcd04f54b91fade3f36b9790bfc1c932.jpg

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
I would say no, if they have a ceiling, 4 walls and a door it would be considered dry location in the closet.

Just make sure they don’t skimp on size of the closet and keep working distance on all the equipment.

Buck Parrish

The closet on the drawing looks like an add on to meet code. It does not look like a real electrical closet. It still could work if it was completely dried in with real sturdy double doors.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Look at the definition of location, wet in article 100.

Yes per definition car wash bay areas are wet location. I already mentioned that post #1. I dont follow

I am talking about building a closet in car wash area and have panelboards in the closet. Would inside of closet be considered wet location then?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Yes per definition car wash bay areas are wet location. I already mentioned that post #1. I dont follow

I am talking about building a closet in car wash area and have panelboards in the closet. Would inside of closet be considered wet location then?
Is the closet by article 100 definition a wet location? The car wash bay location type is irrelevant.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
The person you need to ask is the designer. He must have had some idea of what he wants per the note "NEMA 3R (WP) Closet Structure" Maybe he and the Architect can provide you with details.

Roger

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I already had looked at definition of wet location 100. That is my question post#1. Is the inside of closet wet location. Opinions
I dont understand the confusion the definition is very clear. Build the closet to meet the definition. Opinion, no.

d0nut

Beware, though, that a 3R enclosure does not provide protection against hose directed water. You would need Type 4 or maybe higher depending on the pressures involved.

d0nut

If it is in a room that's a dry location??
If the room is a dry location then Type 1 enclosures would be sufficient. The way I read the plans in the OP is that the designer is requiring a NEMA 3R closet be constructed (whatever that means). My point was that the 3R closet wouldn't provide protection from hose directed water, which I would expect to be present in a car wash, so the existing panels would probably not be in a dry location as currently noted.

The whole situation appears to be some existing equipment that the designer doesn't want to change out to properly rated equipment. Rather than come up with an actual solution, there is some hand waving and a requirement for someone else to build something to make the installation workable.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Beware, though, that a 3R enclosure does not provide protection against hose directed water. You would need Type 4 or maybe higher depending on the pressures involved.
There is no hose directed water in a car wash. The water comes out of nozzles that are directed at the car. It is unlikely the enclosure would see anything worse than incidental splashing.

Status
Not open for further replies.