Careful with 10 in 1 drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I’ve long had a love/hate relationship with 10 in 1 type screwdrivers. Convenient to have so many tips in 1 tool. The couple of square drives are good when you need them.

But the downside. Bits easily come out at the worst moments. I was on a ladder this week, put my screwdriver in a holder on top. Pulled it out & the bit had fallen out. Fell down to the platform, through a mat & into a grease trap. Gone for good. Bad enough but that could have been a disaster if it had fallen into a machine.

Many drivers also won’t fit tight spaces such as terminal blocks or some breaker terminal slots.

If you use these a lot, just beware of the risk you may be taking. At least use better made ones.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I only use them when I fly to a job site, I hate checking baggage because stuff disappears. When I get to where I’m going, depending on what I’m there for, I will get a 10 in 1, and a cheap pair of strippers. Then I will give them to our local tech if he is on site with me. I hate borrowing someone else’s tools. Milwaukee seems to have a better magnet than Klein or Ideal.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
After I accumulated four X-in-1 screwdrivers of various brands with lost bits I gave up on them and converted to individual screwdrivers. I am much happier and I don't find it less convenient. Rather than pulling out the bit or the shaft (or both) to change tools, I just put one tool back in my bag and pull out another. As a side benefit, I decided to buy all 1000V insulated tools which lessens the occurrence of yelling obscenities.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I have a love hate relationship too but for the most part as an everyday tool I hate them. Yes they're convienient but it ends there, nothing can replace a good set of quality driver tools.

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
Same here, love & hate. I use them only on dead equipment and for service type stuff when troubleshooting, opening up boxes and panel to check things out or for running pipe they are handy.

Other than that the good tools come out if i have to do any real work.It does mean you have to carry more stuff though

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I forgot to mention I do keep one of the 10-in-ones with the bits removed in my bag. It makes an excellent nut driver in a frequently used size.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
I like these, don't have much of problem with "tips" falling out 2 sizes ea flat & phillips, 1/4 & 5/16 nutdriver, didn't think I needed wire nut wrench but now use it regularly

Attachments

• ideal-multi-bit-screwdrivers-35-908-64_1000.jpg
    ideal-multi-bit-screwdrivers-35-908-64_1000.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 16
Status
Not open for further replies.