Carport Maximum Voltage 1500V?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I would say it's not a building, just a structure, but the NEC definition could be read to include it. Article 100. It says:

Building: A structure that stands alone or that is separated from adjoining structures by fire walls.

Good luck. In my opinion this is one of the dumber definitions in the NEC.

pv_n00b

Carports are in a grey area. The NEC pretty much equates structures and buildings. Some AHJs are requiring rapid shutdown on carports because of this. So I would say it's up to the AHJ and how they choose to interpret the NEC.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
The IRC says carports are open on two sides.
what About the metal carports people are having installed?

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
I really thought 1500 volts was a mistype.
apparently not. So you want 500kW and 1000 volts in a carport???

:unsure:
1000V isn't a problem on a carport; the only structures that are restricted to 600V or less are one and two family dwellings. I don't know about 1500V, though I know such systems exist.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I’m just kind of confused as to why someone would need 500kW and 1000 volts on a carport...

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I’m just kind of confused as to why someone would need 500kW and 1000 volts on a carport...
Think giant, purpose built structures over large parking lots, not just some residential thing. This kind of solar installation is a big thing. Good dual use of parking lot space, also dual purpose as shade structure. And unlike rooftop it doesn't need to be totally leak proof.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Think giant, purpose built structures over large parking lots, not just some residential thing. This kind of solar installation is a big thing. Good dual use of parking lot space, also dual purpose as shade structure. And unlike rooftop it doesn't need to be totally leak proof.
Got you!!
the term carport threw me. We have a solar installation here that is 1MW over a parking lot. Just never heard it called a carport. The cars stay much cooler in the summer under the shade.
makes sense now..

thanks!

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
And no experience to share re: rapid shutdown?
Rapid shutdown wasn't required on some of them because they weren't on buildings, and some were built before it became an issue. For the one or two that were subject to RSD because they were recent and over rooftop parking we used SolarEdge. One was on the downtown network, which was a forking nightmare.

Status
Not open for further replies.