Case Study: Radio Station Gnd Improvements

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

karl riley

George, interesting article. I have no idea how much of that was necessary, but results count.
What I want to know is does anyone ever have to climb that thing?

Karl

sparky_magoo

Pretty cool story. My company is about to take on wiring cell sites. I wonder what special grounding procedures will be involved. I am trying to get out of the cell site crew only because I don't want to travel. I like to go home to my wife every night.

dereckbc

Staff member
I read the article and the upgrade is fairly typical of any radio site designed today and even years ago. I suspect since this was a university radio funds and knowledge were limited and prevented them from doing it right the first time.

I did see one bogus or miss-leading statement in the article in reference to TVSS, something to the effect ?that a TVSS needed a good ground in order to operate?.

dereckbc

Staff member
karl riley said:
What I want to know is does anyone ever have to climb that thing?

Karl

You bet people have to climb that thing. FAA requires High Intensity Lighting and some sucker has to replace bulbs or strobes. Also the antenna needs replacing every few years, coax always tears loose from support, and bonding straps are constanly burned up and need replacing...

Status
Not open for further replies.