CAT 5&6 cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

geochurchi

Occupation
Retired electrician
Hi All, what is the thought on using CAT 5 or 6 for low voltage lighting , paralleling conductors 24 VDC or VAC .:?
Thanks
​​​​​​​Geo

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
No real advantage over standard wire types, and low current capacity per conductor. If you only need two conductors, use a two-conductor cable.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
My policy is that data cable only gets used for data as it was intended. I despise having to figure out what a cable does and where it goes when all the LV looks like network.

This usually happens when the installer doesn't know any better or that's all they carry on the truck. Definitely not professional. Besides, using the proper cable is almost always cheaper than CAT cable.

-Hal

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
My policy is that data cable only gets used for data as it was intended. I despise having to figure out what a cable does and where it goes when all the LV looks like network.

This usually happens when the installer doesn't know any better or that's all they carry on the truck. Definitely not professional. Besides, using the proper cable is almost always cheaper than CAT cable.
Agreed. I don't even like phones using the same cable; at least use a different color. :roll:

geochurchi

Occupation
Retired electrician
My thoughts exactly, use the cable for what it is intended for, never thought about the cost of CAT 5,6. Just thought I was missing something, is there a voltage rating on CAT 5,6?:blink:
Geo

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
is there a voltage rating on CAT 5,6?
Geo

As with all CL2 and CL3 cables there is but you aren't supposed to know. All you need to know is if you have a CL2 power source you use a CL2 cable. Likewise with CL3. For data you look for a CM listing, no real voltage. You don't need to worry about current and voltage so no voltage rating is printed on the reel or jacket. If you look up the spec sheet for the cable they will indicate a voltage rating should you use the cable outside of NEC jurisdiction. I believe generally it's 150V for CL2 and 300V for CL3.

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.