cat 5 above t-bar question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayjong

hey all-
2008 NEC. i have a situation where a customer is insisting (on the advice of another contractor) that cat 5 cable (used for computer/internet) that is installed above a suspended ceiling is required to be installed at least 12" above the upper surface of the ceiling panels.seems the insulation contractor didn't get scheduled prior to the IT guy, now insulation guy is quoting electrical code (no section, though!!!)
i've not heard of this, nor can i find it in the code.
anyone agree, or is this an urban legend? (just made up?)

thanks!!!

raider1

Staff member
There is no NEC code requirement that communications cables be installed at least 12" above the ceiling grid.

800.21 requires that access to electrical equipment above suspended ceiling tiles not be denied by the accumulation of communications cables preventing removal of suspended ceiling tiles.

Chris

mayjong

thanks! a mentor of mine once told me-

"the code requirement that is the hardest to find is the one that does not exist"

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
now insulation guy is quoting electrical code (no section, though!!!)

:lol: I hate when they do that.

Here's a typical installation for us. Sometimes you might not even have have 12" of space above the grid.

Blackiron1.jpg

MAK

Perhaps the 12 inches above the grid is for possible interference when passing over florescent lights? I agree there does not seem to be an NEC code that prohibits it from being less than 12 inches from ceiling grid.

djd

djd

djd

It s ajob spec or Locality thing, i think the code does reqiure jboxes and conduit above 12 inches. I have seen alot of cat 5 laying on cieling tiles , unpermitted remodel work likely. AHJD:

jumper

It s ajob spec or Locality thing, i think the code does reqiure jboxes and conduit above 12 inches. I have seen alot of cat 5 laying on cieling tiles , unpermitted remodel work likely. AHJD:

No requirement for 12" that I know of.

Just this AFAICT:

300.23 Panels Designed to Allow Access. Cables, raceways,
and equipment installed behind panels designed to
allow access, including suspended ceiling panels, shall be
arranged and secured so as to allow the removal of panels
and access to the equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.