CAT-5 for doorbells ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

hurk27

Re: CAT-5 for doorbells ??

While that is true there are some ingiter control modules that do run off the 24vac instead of the line voltage which would make it a class 2 load. With high end houses that might have 3 or 4 20va chimes could place about 8 amps on that 24awg phone wire which could cause a fire if the supply transformer was up sized to meet the load. Still a class 2 circuit? To me it's just not a good idea.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Wayne,
While that is true there are some ingiter control modules that do run off the 24vac instead of the line voltage which would make it a class 2 load.
The primary of the igniter may be a Class 2 circuit, but the output is not.
To me it's just not a good idea.
I never said it was a good idea, I just said I don't know of a code section that says you can't.
Don

jrdsg

we don't do a lot of prewires, but we do use cat5 for door stations when we do, since they support all the following options: cctv camera, telephone system/intercom door station, door bell, etc. i like to see both an LVT 18-2 for power and a cat5 at the door bell location. if we run into a situation where the current requirements of the door bell is too large for the 24 ga. wire in the cat5 and someone has forgotten to install an LVT, we can use a relay or a low-current trigger type door chime at the other end.

there are real advantages to installing cat5 over other options in some situations, both cost-wise and performance-wise. while i too have seen some dubious 24 ga. applications, i have come to appreciate the flexibility of structured wiring for retrofitting systems in existing structures.

i don't think a blanket, reflexive NO is applicable here, but the concerns expressed above are worth noting.

Status
Not open for further replies.