Cat 5 or Cat 6 in elevator traveling cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

City_IT

May 2015, we have 2 new elevators installed. We went to great length to ensure the spec was written to include 2 Cat 5 cables to the traveling car, one for IP phone and one for IP video camera. Today the elevator installers say there is no such cable in existence, that the wire gauge is too small and would be too brittle. They say the bending over time would result in failure. I have a had time believing that in 2015, that new elevators aren't equipped with IP cameras and the necessary Cat 6 wiring to run them. They also installed an analog phone, and I'm ok with that for now, but really need the IP camera. A quick google search reveals the elevator guy might be right in that the cable doesn't exist, however we have it written into the spec, so they may be breaking new ground and making one for us.

You might be able to use a set of the Ethernet-over-powerline or Ethernet-over-telephone repeaters to get your signal up a spare communications pair in the cable. And some of those devices could have PoE, I'm not doing that research half-way into the first cup of coffee.

I have heard of permitted installations where a separate cable is attached to the main traveler for communications. If you can find CAT5 with the proper insulation, that might be an option.

I'd also be having a conversation with the vendor about "It's in the spec, why are you telling us now? Did you not read the spec?" Might not change anything but you might feel better about it.

nhfire77

May 2015, we have 2 new elevators installed. We went to great length to ensure the spec was written to include 2 Cat 5 cables to the traveling car, one for IP phone and one for IP video camera. Today the elevator installers say there is no such cable in existence, that the wire gauge is too small and would be too brittle. They say the bending over time would result in failure. I have a had time believing that in 2015, that new elevators aren't equipped with IP cameras and the necessary Cat 6 wiring to run them. They also installed an analog phone, and I'm ok with that for now, but really need the IP camera. A quick google search reveals the elevator guy might be right in that the cable doesn't exist, however we have it written into the spec, so they may be breaking new ground and making one for us.

Don't bother arguing with them. If there is a single pair, twisted or not, go to IP over coax. Actually POE over any two conductors-

http://www.nvt.com/content.php?type=template&key=productfamily&ckey=eo2

They are not cheap but are plug and play, I have successfully used this in 25 floor elevators. The only flaw is HD High frame rates (<15) get choppy but it's not necessary in an elevator.

If your specs were accepted with C6 in it, make the elevator vendor pay the change order, if you can. They hate that:)

You can get 50+W down a single pair of 18ga conductors with this. Then you can power a small switch on top of the car(if they'll install a box for you) to get multiple connections

Status
Not open for further replies.