cat5 vs. cat6 male connectors for patch cabling

Status
Not open for further replies.

ike5547

Occupation
Electrician
It depends on the application.

For kids - Newegg.

For our plant - we make our own network cables. If we need usb, serial, adapters, etc. they come from Newegg usually.

I ended up buying a hundred patch cables for about 200 bucks. It would have taken me forever to make them up myself. Not cost effective. Thanks to those who advised against it.

mgookin

I ended up buying a hundred patch cables for about 200 bucks. It would have taken me forever to make them up myself. Not cost effective. Thanks to those who advised against it.

When you're wiring a new facility, there is no choice. Somebody has to make them. We have Cat5 going from our network switch to workstations, production machines, video systems, etc.
A big box of Cat5, a bag of connectors & a good crimp tool works great. Spend the money on the good tool; don't buy a cheap one.

We build a ton of equipment with Ethernet and USB cabling in it, and we have used L-COM exclusively for the last 5 years. They just build better cables than some of the cheap junk you get if you buy the lowest price cables from Newegg, or even Monoprice.

JFletcher

We build a ton of equipment with Ethernet and USB cabling in it, and we have used L-COM exclusively for the last 5 years. They just build better cables than some of the cheap junk you get if you buy the lowest price cables from Newegg, or even Monoprice.

Good idea to use better materials in equipment. On the other end of the spectrum, you have hotels, and the guests or hskp are going to ruin/steal/lose the patch cables in the rooms at an alarming rate; cheap is the way to go there. IT racks may be an argument for better cables, tho, again, with hotels, spending several hundred more in patch cables alone is generally not cost effective. Cat6 is overkill but most corporate IT specs call for it. Kinda dumb to build a GB-to-desktop system when they are going to pay for a 100MB internet service.

It's all about the distance and some other factors

It's all about the distance and some other factors

It's all about the distance. Yes, plus add the fact that maybe using a shielded or double shielded cable may save you from lots of headaches in the form of electrostatic interference.

Status
Not open for further replies.