Cat6 cable terminated with Cat5e jacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke E

In installing a Cat6 network system complete with Cat6 jacks at the device locations, am I limiting the bandwidth if the home runs terminate on a Cat5e patch? I would guess that any ?weak link? in the system, be it a Cat5e patch cord or wall jack would act as a bottleneck for bandwidth.

RapidTransit

From what I gather you are running cat6 into cat5e keystone jacks? Do the wires even fit properly? Cat 6 usually comes at 23awg and thicker insulation. Cat6 usually is used if you want less noise and don't want to use a shielded cable. Cat6 is rated to 10gbs, Cat5e is rated to 1gbs. Unless your running a data center you won't come close to 10gbs.

I just ran some shielded, solid core, cat6, crimping and terminating was a real PITA. If it weren't for all the fluorescent lights, running PoE, and part of a critical surveillance system I would have just went with Cat5e, but I was paranoid.

Duke E

Rapid, we are contracted to replace existing Cat5 networks with Cat6 cable and jacks. The new system is to be connected to an owner provided patch, which happens to be rated Cat5. I?m pleased to say that after some discussions and postings on this board that they have decided to upgrade all the patches to Cat 6 (thank you Hbiss).

I don?t do much low voltage work, but in my limited experience I would prefer to use Cat6 jacks. They seem quicker to install and with less error, this is inclusive of the patches.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I would prefer to use Cat6 jacks. They seem quicker to install and with less error, this is inclusive of the patches.

You can get unloaded patch panels which are simply aluminum panels that take the same keystone jacks you use on the wall plates. Much easier than punching down all those 110 terminations on the back of a regular panel.

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.