Catagory "0" Stop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg S.

I hope another NFPA-79 question is OK with the readers. The last one got some good responses. --- NFPA 79 requires a Catagory 0 stop on all machines. My intent is to use the main disconnest as the Catagory 0 stop since all of the machine E-Stops are Catagory 1. They ramp down the motor controllers and take 5-7 seconds to deenergize the MCCs. The MCCs and the main disconnect are located in a seperate room from the machine since it is a very hostile enviornment. Can anyone cite a code article or ANSI standard that requires the Class 0 stop to be in a particular proximity to the machine. By the way, each motor has a Metrelec cord and plug connection that can be locked out.

Another quick one. Other being readily accesssable, is there a specific height a pull cord for an e-stop must not exceed? I expected to find a requirement of about 6' but could find nothing specific.

pfalcon

The "0" stop has no fixed position relative to the machine. Follow the rules for it being a disconnect.

The pull cord Estop height/location is based on risk assessment for how it'll be used. It doesn't look good in the after action report when the guy is trapped in the conveyor for 3 hours because the Estop cord was hangin "just beyond reach" in the other direction. That said, most control equipment is considered to be out of service reach over 84".

Status
Not open for further replies.