CCTV Professionals -- Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ike5547

Occupation
Electrician
I need a decent RAID 10, SATA, Hardware Controller for a Milestone VMS Management Server. Keyword is: Decent. A compromise between price and quality. Something you wouldn't be ashamed of selling to one of your more price conscious customers while you, yourself, felt reasonably confidant that future issues would be unlikely.

What RAID do you use? What RAID would you use? Any other options?

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
What is Raid 10
Are you referring to RAID 1 and windows 10?

I'd get a mother board that has raid built in. ASUS

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
What is Raid 10
Are you referring to RAID 1 and windows 10?

I'd get a mother board that has raid built in. ASUS

It's disk mirroring+disk striping (Raid 1 + Raid 0), usually written as Raid 1+0. It requires a minimum of 4 (identical!) drives. It provides redundancy and speed, but at reduced capacity. Raid 5 provides data protection and higher capacity for the same number of drives, but rebuilding a failed drive takes longer, and if you have another failure in the meantime you're toast; assuming no backups.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
It's disk mirroring+disk striping (Raid 1 + Raid 0), usually written as Raid 1+0. It requires a minimum of 4 (identical!) drives. It provides redundancy and speed, but at reduced capacity. Raid 5 provides data protection and higher capacity for the same number of drives, but rebuilding a failed drive takes longer, and if you have another failure in the meantime you're toast; assuming no backups.

Thanks,
I had a raid system once with 2 drives. Now I mostly use a laptop.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Thanks,
I had a raid system once with 2 drives. Now I mostly use a laptop.

That was probably Raid 1, mirroring. Striping alone is an invitation to nuke your data. There is no way to recover data from a striped set. It's primary utility is to create a single volume from multiple drives and because the computer can call data from every drive at the same time, it can be very fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.