CCTV

Status
Not open for further replies.

luceelectric

Camera manufacturer had me put in a CCTV camera on an existing exterior light pole. They had me run a 1 1/4" pvc conduit to the outside of the pole where I went to rigid out of the ground went in the side of the light pole and turned to flex inside the pole to 20' high where the camera attached to the pole. The camera manufacturer had me pull the 24 volt power wiring (#10 thhn for distance)from the camera power supply to the camera in the same 1 1/4" conduit that has the coax (RG-59) for the camera in it. The power supply has a class 1 transformer that feeds 10 individually fused circuits for cameras(fused at 3 amps each). The inspector says the 24 volt power supply wiring is not allowed in the same conduit as the coax. Is this right? The camera manufacturer says they run a hybrid cable in the same conduit to these all the time. I'm not that familiar with the low voltage part of the code and would appreciate any help.

iwire

Staff member
Re: CCTV

Are the power wires for the exsitng light in the pole with the coax and the 24 volts, this would be a violation.

gwz2

This is an area of the NEC that is not clearly addressed in any code clarification text that I have read.

725, 800, 810, 820 info is despartely needed.

luke warmwater

Originally posted by luceelectric:
The inspector says the 24 volt power supply wiring is not allowed in the same conduit as the coax. Is this right?
Ask the inspector what article he is citing.
The camera manufacturer says they run a hybrid cable in the same conduit to these all the time.
The hybrid cable is probably a listed cable assembly.
Todd

mikeackley

luceelectric:

I think you'll find your answer in 800.52(A)(b). A simple paraphrasing what it says there: you can run Class 2 and Class 3 circuits with the CCTV coax, but NOT a Class 1 circuit. You've got a Class 1 transformer, so.....

There is an exception for a Listed Hybrid Power and Communication Cable assembly, see 800.51(I). This most likely is what the camera manufacturer is talking about.

mikeackley

luceelectric:

As an afterthought, does the camera manufacturer have a Class 2 power supply for this particular application? Might be a worthwhile question to ask. Class 2 will limit you to 100 volt-amperes max, but if you only one of those 3 amp fused circuits,...???

[ March 02, 2003, 03:34 PM: Message edited by: mikeackley ]

Status
Not open for further replies.