Ceiling fan pre-wires

Status
Not open for further replies.

rich000

I've run into this situation many times. The homebuilder sells a ceiling fan prewire to the homeowner before the sale of home. To me, a CF pre wire is 2 switches (1 for fan, 1 for light) with 14/3 running to the fixture.

However, the box for the switches is only a 2 gang box. The box contains the 14/3 for the CF and a 14/2 for a switched receptacle.

Shouldn't this be a 3 gang box?

The only way around this is to put in a double switch (fan/light control).

Is this just poor workmanship or the way it is always done?

racraft

Re: Ceiling fan pre-wires

Personally, if I had a fan and light combo, I would make the receptacle always hot, freeing up the switch for use with the fan/light.

dave81

Whats wrong with a fan/light control. How many switches do you want in one location.

rich000

Could be that they plan on making the switched receptacle always hot if the fan will have lights. .

They connected one switch to the switched receptacle (for table lamps) and the other (red/black) connected together on the other switch.

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

We wire all fans in 3 wire.But the builder always pays for 1 switch,but the fan is always hot. Has come in handy with cut wires.

pierre

A lot of the fans are controlled by a single gang fan/light control switch. Some fans are sold with this device included in the package. There are some models that only require a two conductor from the switch location to the fan, and still control the fan and light with separate switches. (frequency contolled)

Pierre

rich000

The whole point is the fact that the box should be able to hold 3 switches (normal switches). However, it can't because it is only a double gang box.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Rich why not use one of these

6400.jpg

combo-dims.jpg

along with a single, or a fan control?

Roger

[ March 19, 2004, 04:26 PM: Message edited by: roger ]

hurk27

Roger
I have a stacked S1-S1 that one switch is backward from the other and work that way too.

I have scanned it into my computer but I don't have a web page to post it to so I can show it. but it should make for some interesting conversation. I'll e-mail it to any one wanting to post it.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Looking closely you can see that when the handles are in the same position one is ON and one is OFF

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.