ceiling fans and metal framing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have experience doing remodel work with metal stud framing? I am working in a high-rise condo and need to relocate a ceiling outlet box to support a 30 - 40 lb. light fixture. I am used to using the expanding bracket when I do this in wood frame construction. Is there a similar product for metal frame construction? It is not likely there is a stud to support the box where they want it.

We discussed swagging the fixture, but the HO is not too keen on that.

Ideas?

NewOnMyOwn

This is an excellent topic. I find myself in this situation often. When using wood joists the wood is structural and can support the heavy load of the fixture/fan. When metal studs are use the metal studs are usually not rate for much more than the load of the ceiling, so I question if they are a heavy enough gauge to support a fixture/fan. Sometimes when inside walls and ceilings are framed in metal studs they only use Ridgid X to support the drywall ceiling, would you dare hang a heavy fixture/fan from Ridgid X?

I'm interested in what others do and think about this matter.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
What's above the stud and drywall ceiling? We sometimes use threaded rod rod with a fan rated box anchored to the concrete slab above.

sparky=t

what guage steel? is it joist material, hat channel, or is it chicago drywall grid? you could always improvise some unistrut. ;)

What's above the stud and drywall ceiling? We sometimes use threaded rod rod with a fan rated box anchored to the concrete slab above.

My thoughts exactly as it is what we did on a ski town hotel remodel.

Will depend on the structure as to the type of anchor used.

Status
Not open for further replies.