CEU - how to certify?

Status
Not open for further replies.

megloff11x

Are there any rules on certfying CEU? I'm trying to convince the local college to offer something in this area and need to know who says it's OK as continuing education credit, how much credit, and what the requirements are.

Thanks,

Matt

rcarroll

Is there an agency that requires you to receive ceu's for licensing? For me, the state of Colorado requires that I answer 25 questions every two years to keep my master electrician license. As for my building inspector certificates go, that's through ICC. IAEI might be another option. Good luck.

mengelman

megloff11x said:
Are there any rules on certfying CEU? I'm trying to convince the local college to offer something in this area and need to know who says it's OK as continuing education credit, how much credit, and what the requirements are.

Thanks,

Matt
That is going to depend on the state you are in.

Davis9

Maybe it's here in MA? I think when you take the qualifying CEU you get a certificate. You hold on to that and if they audit you you provide proof.

Tom

radiopet

Depends -

In Virginia you have to have your course approved by the DPOR and then attend a meeting so the board can ask you any questions. You then have to submit a resume and application for the process.

Once approved by the state you then have a strict guideline to follow of submitting all people who attend your seminar to the state within 7 days of the seminar with proper information to match their license numbers and so on.

Most will give a certificate but in VA it is not required because the info is already sent to the state at the completion of the class but then again thats VA so I am not aware of other states.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
The term CEU is often misused.
The following is from the IACET website:

Award IACET Continuing Education Units

Organizations that meet IACET's internationally recognized continuing education and training standards are approved as Authorized Providers. Authorized Providers may award IACET Continuing Education Units (CEUs).

Organizations transition to an Authorized Provider only after successful completion of an application and site visit. Click here to learn more and get started.

You can award CEUs if you are authorized to do so, its formal approval process.
A CEU is typically ten contact hours.
In washington state our electrical classes are often called CEUs they will be listed as 8 CEU, which would be 80 hours, they are actually on CE, so its an 8 hour class.

Status
Not open for further replies.