cfl vs incandecent whats watt

Status
Not open for further replies.

tallguy

Dennis Alwon said:
I contend that a CFL in a fixture that says 60 watt incandescent is a violation of the listing of the fixture. I also have never seen a cfl that can go in a fixture that is enclosed, not saying there isn't one- just never seen one.
Here's a list (PDF).

Quoting from the PDF:
DOE solicited from manufacturers R-CFLs that are specifically designed for use in high heat applications, such as airtight, insulated ceiling-rated recessed cans. R-CFLs that meet the program?s minimum specifications and successfully complete Elevated Temperature Life Testing (ETLT) are declared competition winners.

ETLT involves a minimum of 6,000 hours of operation in a simulated insulated ceiling-rated airtight (ICAT) environment (laboratory testing). The minimum requirement for both this competition and the ENERGY STAR CFL Program is 6,000 hours. Models with rated life claims beyond 6,000 hours are required to continue testing until that claim is met. Ten lamps of each model are tested, and manufacturers are required to pay testing costs. The testing apparatus operates the lamps in an automated cycle of 3 hours ?on,? 20 minutes ?off,? for the test duration. Lamps are tested at an ambient temperature of 55?C. Light intensity for each lamp is measured every 2 weeks throughout the testing period to evaluate lumen maintenance over time. Manufacturers are provided with test results for their lamp(s) on a periodic basis.

HighWirey

Gentlemen,

Thank you for the NPR and EPA links. 'Consider the source' are the key words here.

I really like the CFLs, got a house full of 'em. Just do not care for the hype and obfuscation surrounding the issue.

You got to love big brother, and that ole' saw - 'I'm from the gov'mint, and I'm here to help you'.

Best Wishes

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
tallguy said:
Here's a list (PDF).

Quoting from the PDF:

I believe in time the Halo, Juno, etc cans will be listing CFL's for their cans. As of now they do not (as far as I know, anyway) so I still do not see how one can use a CFL in a fixture that says incandescent luminere. The bulb manufacturers say so but the manufacturers of the cans have not given the okay and the bulbs were not necessarily tested in specific cans

I have seen a pretty nifty LED light that be placed in a recessed can. The manufacturer specified exactly what brand cans they were tested in. They cost about $70-$80 and put out great light. I would assume these would be legit but I am not certain.

The world is changing but I think we have gone too quickly here with the CFL's given the vast difference between costs and manufacturers, not to mention the education that is lacking in the disposal of these units.

HighWirey

"The world is changing but I think we have gone too quickly here with the CFL's"

Regarding your reference to LED lights:
"They cost about $70-$80 and put out great light".

Yes, Dennis, and we are just about turning the corner with LED lighting technology.

780 bux for a recessed can retrofit - no way.
Just hide and watch . . .

My brother just returned from a shopping trip to Shen Zhen, China. He brought me a bag of 1000 Nichea white LEDs (the Japanese LED leader, so far in this field) , to play with . . . I can't even handle multible Windows, let alone a bag of 1,000 leds . . .

They cost him 2.3 US cents each (a lot less in a real quantity) + the exchange rate in Shen Zhen (.7 at the time).
And he was just an over the counter gringo . ..

As soon as a few technological problems are ironed out, we will be re-retrofiting all those CFLs we just retrofitted . . . and a lot of the other lamps in our world too.

Best Wishes

wptski

CFL's have a power factor of only around .5. How "really" being green is that? If everybody switched over to 100% CFL's, would be charged like the big companies do for a poor power factor?

Status
Not open for further replies.