CFL's, Wattage Equivalents

Status
Not open for further replies.

G._S._Ohm

That's a good point. I am not anti LED, but the light from them is just different in a way I cannot describe.
The spectrum is different.

Try Google images with the search term

spectrum led sunlight

The first hit shows comparative spectrums for several light sources.

Electric-Light

LEDs also have trouble meeting chromatic consistency from chip to chip.

Buy a box of fluorescent tubes and they will all look the same. Buy the same kind, but from a different batch, you may see a very slight difference, but nothing like you see from chip to chip on LEDs.

gar

Occupation
EE
110130-1010 EST

G._S._Ohm:

Is the following web site the one you wanted us to find? This did not provide much useful information on the spectra of different sources.

http://ultraledlights.com/full_spectrum_grow_light.htm

It would be much more useful if you provided the actual address instead saying use these Google search terms. Any two times you search Google with a set of terms you may not get the same results. Google is dynamic.

G._S._Ohm

It would be much more useful if you provided the actual address instead saying use these Google search terms. Any two times you search Google with a set of terms you may not get the same results. Google is dynamic.

I tried twice to cut and paste this very long link from Google Images into the post but the server disconnected each time. Maybe the size was so big that it tripped some anti-spam alarm.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I find the lumens put out by LED's to be very unsatisfactory based on the street lights changed to LED from MH in my hometown.

A lot of it might have to do with the optics of the old lights. Any fixture with a dropped lens, or with a lamp where the sides are visible provides both vertical and horizontal illumination. Newer fixtures, including full cuttoff fixtures, tend to provide only horizontal illumination. They light flat surfaces very well (including the ground), but not vertical surfaces like peoples faces.

A lot of cities are passing ordinances that limit the amount of vertical illumination they will allow.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Well, a 500W incandescent lamp is about 10,000 lumens.

No such thing as 10,000 lumen screw-in CFL in common market. You think you can go with 14 x 4x F54T5/HO conversion? F54T5/HOs are 5,000 lumens.

Another option is 14 x 6 lamp (or 28 x 3 lamp) x F32T8/RE80/HE on 1.2 BF ballast. GE makes 6 lamp @ 1.18 (21,240 mean lumens using premium RE80 lamps) using 221W or ~95 system lumens per watt. 3100W for 14 x 6 setup vs 14,000W for current setup.

It will be costlier, but you'll have 78% reduction in energy use with no reduction in output. You'll never get this much gain with a spiral screw in CFL anyways.

Given the longer length of fixtures, I think you can get away with one creative placement using half as many. It's cheaper to go with 14 fixtures than 28.

Closest I could come so far to the 500 inc. http://e3living.com/150-watt-high-wattage-cfl-500-watt-replacement-4

Electric-Light

http://e3living.com/200-watt-high-wattage-cfl-600-watt-replacement is what you'll need.

I checked out the specs on 120v 500W A-lamps.(shaped like normal light bulb). It's between 10,000 to 10,700 lumens. Halogen T3 is also about the same. The 150W one is understating the output of 500W incandescent by 20%.

10,000 lumens from 200W is only 50 lumens per watt. It's about half the efficacy of T8 multi-tube setup and that's the penalty you pay for pushing a lot of power in a small lamp. The lumen loss is much more aggressive on CFLs as well. You're probably looking at 20% loss over life of 10,000 hours.

The output loss is negligible with T8s, because the lamps are not driven so hard because the lamps are comparatively huge. The life is also around 36,000 hours at 12 hours/cycle , or 24,000 hours at 3hrs/cycle

Status
Not open for further replies.