CFR 1910.303(b)(7)

Status
Not open for further replies.

egr

I am trying to make the case for a systmeatic and strcutured electrical maintenance program within an industrial/utility setting. In one of my many seaches I came across :
"1910.303(b)(7)(iii)
Internal parts of electrical equipment, including busbars, wiring terminals, insulators, and other surfaces, may not be damaged or contaminated by foreign materials such as paint, plaster, cleaners, abrasives, or corrosive residues.
1910.303(b)(7)(iv)
There shall be no damaged parts that may adversely affect safe operation or mechanical strength of the equipment, such as parts that are broken, bent, cut, or deteriorated by corrosion, chemical action, or overheating."

I believe that a compelling argument can be made that having a comprehensive electrical would help to comly with this requirement.

I looked for a similar posting, but I could not find one. If there was one please point me to it...

I welcome any opinions on this matter...

E

egr

Zog,
I realize that I did not convey my question as clearly as I should have, but let me try again...
My question is: Has anyone is this forum used this OSHA requirment to justify a comprhensive maintenance program for electrical equipment?
In addition I would like to kow if anyone disagrees with my interpretation that in order to comply with this OSHA requirement, a maintenance program needs to be in place? If you disagree, would you let me know why?

Thanks

ER

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Industrial or utility? 1910.303 isn't good for utilitys. 1910.302(A)(2)(v)

Look at 1910.269 for utilities
At any rate, I would say the term "qualified person" would work. :Qualified person. One who has received training in and has demonstrated skills and knowledge in the construction and operation of electric equipment and installations and the hazards involved.

Last edited:

egr

Industrial.
I am just trying to justify the extra money needed to provide adequate maintenance to aging equipment in these days of dwindling budgets and short term planning...
We addres the qualify worker issue trought our Technician Qualification program..

zog

NFPA 70E discusses the maintenence requirements in chapter 2.

As far as justification for investing in a PM program, lay out the PM budget and compare that to the losses you would see for an unplanned outage. Base this of documented failure rates and typical replacement times, any industrial plant will come out ahead if they PM thier power system equipment.

wtucker

If the industry's processes fall under OSHA's standard on Process Safety Managemement of Highly Hazardous Chemicals (29 CFR 1910.119), an electrical PM program would certainly be required.

Status
Not open for further replies.