CH Retrofit Panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

360Youth

In response to a thread from a while back, I thought I would post a few pics from a recently finished FPE panel change out using the CutlerHammer Retrofit panel kit. The new guts are ordered based on existing can deminsions and range from 100 amp 12/24 space to up to 225 amp, I think. Being able to leave the enclosure is considerably more pleasing.

Panels-1.jpg

FPEBefore.jpg

CHAfter.jpg

RetroFinished.jpg

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
What did you pay for the retrofit kit and how long was the wait? Where that box is sitting over the upper left corner of the panel, is that just a trim to cover up any potential gaps? It looks like that stays in place and you simply remove those 4 screws in the middle and then remove that center cover to access the panel interior, is that right?

Looks real good for a retrofit and not removing the can is huge bonus.:cool:

iMuse97

What did you pay for the retrofit kit and how long was the wait? Where that box is sitting over the upper left corner of the panel, is that just a trim to cover up any potential gaps? It looks like that stays in place and you simply remove those 4 screws in the middle and then remove that center cover to access the panel interior, is that right?

I'm with you, Cow. Great Install 360 :smile: Any chance three-sixty will graduate to 720 soon?

360Youth

The kits were around $300 each. I do not know what a 200 amp version would be. The box you see is an existing junction for the air handler. I was able to knotch the cover plate so as not have to relocate the box. The exterior cover is an over sized plate that the panel cover itself attaches to.

I'm with you, Cow. Great Install 360 :smile: Any chance three-sixty will graduate to 720 soon?

Thanks. The right materials can make even guys like me look ok once in a while. I tell my boss on ocasion that the main he keeps me around is because of the tools I keep. :wink:

resistance

Great invention! The price will depend on the size of the enclosure.
I dislike them being installed in older panels with little to know cabinet space. It looks overcrowded!

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Looks great, Thom. It's not easy to make any retrofit look good.

How is the new interior attached to the can? Existing holes or drill your own?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I dislike them being installed in older panels with little to know cabinet space. It looks overcrowded!
True, but you have to weigh the labor saving into the decision, too. I'm pretty good at R&R'ing panels, but it's not fun.

This one looks like drywall, but a real plaster wall is another story. I'll definitely consider going this route on the next one.

360Youth

How is the new interior attached to the can? Existing holes or drill your own?

You have to drill holes in the enclosure. The retrofit comes with all the hardware. The Greenlee drill and tap bits work perfect in these situations.

It was not plaster, but the older style more brittle drywall. The right hand panel with far fewer circuits to be concerned with was done inside of an hour.

PetrosA

I priced retrofits recently for a building with 6 FPE bolt-down panels and the total, with breakers came to around $2500 - very reasonable. Most of the panels had pipe, BX and MC into them so swapping would have been a major undertaking.

resistance

True, but you have to weigh the labor saving into the decision, too. I'm pretty good at R&R'ing panels, but it's not fun.

This one looks like drywall, but a real plaster wall is another story. I'll definitely consider going this route on the next one.
Definitely a consideration!

boltneck

im changing a FPE service tomorrow

i looked into the retofit kits but the more i thought about it i decided to just replace the whole panel

the existing 200 amp FPE panel is only 24" high and 13" wide
too small and cramped

walls are wallpapered, romex out the top, pipes out the bottom, should be fun

resistance

im changing a FPE service tomorrow

i looked into the retofit kits but the more i thought about it i decided to just replace the whole panel

the existing 200 amp FPE panel is only 24" high and 13" wide
too small and cramped

walls are wallpapered, romex out the top, pipes out the bottom, should be fun
Exactly! One of the purposes of replacing the older service panels and meters was to make sufficient room (Available space). The retro's are definitely an option, but just that.

Status
Not open for further replies.