Challenger panel insurance denials

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I'm hearing from an insurance agent that many (he said 20) insurance companies are denying coverage for all Challenger panels, not just the ones that have a FPE lineage. Seems ridiculous to me to deny coverage on the Challenger panels that have Eaton BR guts in them. Anybody have any info on this?

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I'm hearing from an insurance agent that many (he said 20) insurance companies are denying coverage for all Challenger panels, not just the ones that have a FPE lineage. Seems ridiculous to me to deny coverage on the Challenger panels that have Eaton BR guts in them. Anybody have any info on this?
I missed something. What’s wrong with Challenger panels?

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~

out here, i've seen more than one underwriter who will NOT write
a policy on Zinsco, FPE, or Challenger products. the name is the
kiss of death.

they refused coverage on a non fused disconnect, with all copper
internals, from the late 50's. had a Z on the cover. that was all it took.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
out here, i've seen more than one underwriter who will NOT write
a policy on Zinsco, FPE, or Challenger products. the name is the
kiss of death.

they refused coverage on a non fused disconnect, with all copper
internals, from the late 50's. had a Z on the cover. that was all it took.

If I was the owner and didn't have anything better to do with my time and money, I'd drag them in front of state insurance commission to justify their decision. They can't choose to not underwrite a risk without a reasonable basis for that decision, otherwise what's the point in having a licensing law? Show me the loss history.

danbel57

Challenger

Challenger

I've recently spoke with an Eaton rep. There hasn't been any change in their U.L. listings for their breakers or panels that I am aware of. In fact he was doing a presentation on their new products and provided a report as to how many different panels their breakers are rated to be installed in. I think your agent is mistaken.

cpinetree

I've recently spoke with an Eaton rep. There hasn't been any change in their U.L. listings for their breakers or panels that I am aware of. In fact he was doing a presentation on their new products and provided a report as to how many different panels their breakers are rated to be installed in. I think your agent is mistaken.

Not mistaken at all.
Get calls weekly on Challenger panel replacements for insurance.

Had a Challenger MLO panel they wanted changed :lol:
We changed all the breakers to Cutler BR (this way none said Challenger) and popped the cover latch out and installed an Eaton one.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I wasn't aware there was any FPE technology with Challenger labels on it. GTE-Sylvania made Zinsco technology panels for a bit, and then also developed the technology that was sold off and became Challenger (according to Wikipedia), but the technology of the Challenger panels resembles and is compatible with Eaton BR and basically has nothing wrong with it. I can see how risk averse insurance companies who don't have extra time on their hands would get confused, but it's ignorance at work.

norcal

I wasn't aware there was any FPE technology with Challenger labels on it. GTE-Sylvania made Zinsco technology panels for a bit, and then also developed the technology that was sold off and became Challenger (according to Wikipedia), but the technology of the Challenger panels resembles and is compatible with Eaton BR and basically has nothing wrong with it. I can see how risk averse insurance companies who don't have extra time on their hands would get confused, but it's ignorance at work.

There are Challenger branded FPE Stab-Lok loadcenters out there was a whole pallet of them at a local auction a few years ago, laughed that the buyer was in for a rude surprise when they priced breakers for them. If I get bored might go to their website & see if a photo of the lot is still available in their past auctions link.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I have never even had an agent ask about the brand of electrical panel any time we have bought homeowners insurance.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I have never even had an agent ask about the brand of electrical panel any time we have bought homeowners insurance.

New Jersey Manufacturer's was keenly interested in the fact that our pending purchase (in 2006) had an FPE panel. A great many tract houses in NJ from the 60's and 70's are so encumbered. They had done their own property survey as well as reviewing the home inspector's report. They made it quite clear that they would not cover us if it stayed. The seller had to have the panel replaced.

danbel57

Not mistaken at all.
Get calls weekly on Challenger panel replacements for insurance.

Had a Challenger MLO panel they wanted changed :lol:
We changed all the breakers to Cutler BR (this way none said Challenger) and popped the cover latch out and installed an Eaton one.

That's a new one for me. I suppose that's one way to get around it. As an inspector I haven't heard anything about this issue. The funny thing is they are all made by the same company. I think these insurance companies are opening themselves up for a potential problem.

I'm aware of 2 styles of Challeger breakers. One looks just like a GE breaker and pushes onto the bus the same way. The other, and I'm guessing this one's the problem, is this one Challerger Breaker.jpg
I looked at a panel today because someone told the customer that Challenger panels have to be replaced. I assumed the statement refered to the style panel with the "hook" connection, not the GE style connection. But now I'm hearing that it could be ALL Challenger panels(as far as insurers go). I've done a lot of insurance company required panel replacements, but they have always been FPE, Zinsco, Sylvania.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

In the two+ decades of home ownership and multiple insurance companies I never had any representative of the company come into my home.

Status
Not open for further replies.