Change over from m/c to emt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it permissible to use m/c cable as a primary wiring method from a panel, strip wires long enough to reach outlet box at a designated location and proceed to change over to emt using a listed fitting for the purpose?

Beaches EE

Occupation
Electrical Engineer / Facilities Manager
Technically the EMT will be a sleeve. The MC armor cannot be stripped and the conductors run in the EMT unless they are labelled with the wire type.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Is it permissible to use m/c cable as a primary wiring method from a panel, strip wires long enough to reach outlet box at a designated location and proceed to change over to emt using a listed fitting for the purpose?
Done all of the time. Many brands of MC cable has individually marked conductors.

Done all of the time. Many brands of MC cable has individually marked conductors.
So another question comes to mind. What if the m/c cable (without striping)was just pulled through in about 8 feet of emt with the emt mechanically secured to outlet box and not the m/c cable. Would the m/c not have to be metallically and mechanically secured on both ends?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The MC cable must be secured to either the outlet box or the raceway. That means a fitting where it enters the raceway or the raceway left slightly short of the box where an MC cable connector can connect to the box. In the latter option the raceway is being used as a sleeve.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Note, if the EMT is complete from box to box nothing is required to secure the MC, it's just a cable in the raceway.

Roger

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
I know that MC cable in MC fittings does not require a 'red head' to protect the conductors from the cut edge of the sheath. But if you have MC cable in EMT with no fitting where the sheath ends, how should you prep the sheath? The only things I can think of seem wrong (no protection at all) or diy hacks (red head held in place with tape).

-Jon

I know that MC cable in MC fittings does not require a 'red head' to protect the conductors from the cut edge of the sheath. But if you have MC cable in EMT with no fitting where the sheath ends, how should you prep the sheath? The only things I can think of seem wrong (no protection at all) or diy hacks (red head held in place with tape).

-Jon
That was my thoughts as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.