Changing to Fiber Optic for Internet and TV

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Some ISPs will sell you email-only service, it's worth looking into. Or start migrating to a service that offers email w/o a last-mile connection, there are more than a few.
Earthlink is one of them. A nominal monthly fee for email service without any Internet access. You can use their web based mail client or their application/app or you can route the email to your own choice of email client, such as Outlook.

ruxton.stanislaw

Occupation
Laboratory Engineer
I am also in a weird area, two choices of cable TV providers. Cable, not cable and Xfinity etc. Someone came down the road 40+ years ago without permission. Ha! Xfinity or other fiber service will never come down the road, too rural.
Have you considered StarLink? You can also use the TV boxes or even phone networks through a VPN router if you want a specific service, but it would have to be located (hosted) somewhere else where that particular service is available.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
It seems that fiber was installed in the townhouse (along with coax and ethernet cabling) in the walls during original construction (about 4.5 years ago). The fiber outlet was on the wall in the main bedroom, hidden by a chest of drawers.
That is great to here, I am interested in how any of you EC's are pre wiring for residential fiber? I started a new thread here so as not to hijack this one:
https://forums.mikeholt.com/threads/residential-fiber.2579920/