Chapter 4 name and Article 400

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshields

File this under - thinking too much - perhaps, but I'm just curious. Does anyone know what the rational is for the following

Chapter 3 is Wiring Methods and Materials
Chapter 4 is Equipment for General Use

The first Article in Chapter 4 is 400 and is Flexible Cords and Flexible Cables.

How the hell does that not belong in Chapter 3?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
File this under - thinking too much - perhaps, but I'm just curious. Does anyone know what the rational is for the following

Chapter 3 is Wiring Methods and Materials
Chapter 4 is Equipment for General Use

The first Article in Chapter 4 is 400 and is Flexible Cords and Flexible Cables.

How the hell does that not belong in Chapter 3?
Possibly because of the underlying principle that flexible cords (as opposed to flexible wires) are not generally allowed to be used as a permanent wiring method when other, Chapter 3, methods are available?

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Possibly because of the underlying principle that flexible cords (as opposed to flexible wires) are not generally allowed to be used as a permanent wiring method when other, Chapter 3, methods are available?

I'd agree. Some requirements refer to a "Chapter 3 wiring method" and putting cords and cables in chapter 3 would make them an acceptable wiring method.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Article 400 Flexible Cords and Flexible Cables have always seemed, to me, by their uses and prohibited uses, to be a time-limited method compared to Chapter 3 Wiring Methods. I never considered them as worthy of being part of the "permanent wiring" of an occupancy. . .so it made sense that they weren't in Chapter 3.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
the conductors in tray cable have standard stranding, not the fine strands required to be a flexible cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.