charging for service call

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricalperson

i want to know if its ok to charge for a service call if i need to adjust the angle of a motion sensor. if the customer sees it work on test mode and says its ok should i charge for a service call if they change there minds later?

rich000

That's an iffy call I would do on a case by case basis. i.e. How much money was in the original job, will I get more work from them later on, were they a PITA?

Most of the time, we fix it when we have another job in the area. No charge.

mdshunk

Motion sensors are almost guaranteed to generate a callback, which is why I cringe when I'm asked to install one. I normally make it a point to tell the customer before I leave that they might need to adjust the way it's pointing or the sensitivity to suit them best. That works out for most people.

electricalperson

mdshunk said:
Motion sensors are almost guaranteed to generate a callback, which is why I cringe when I'm asked to install one. I normally make it a point to tell the customer before I leave that they might need to adjust the way it's pointing or the sensitivity to suit them best. That works out for most people.
i told them the same thing. i said i will call you tommorw to see if the motion is good for you and if its not ill come twist it a bit. i also explained that they are tough to aim right the first time.

do you have any tricks to aim them right? i just use my best judgement and gut feeling

Buck Parrish

Most people put them much higher then what the directions call for.
Some times I'll put the lights up higher and the motion detector in a different box much lower.

mdshunk

electricalperson said:
do you have any tricks to aim them right? i just use my best judgement and gut feeling
My only trick is to use an RAB Stealth sensor, then you don't have to be so fussy. Just use your best judgment and it'll be fine 9 times out of 10. Customer supplied... they're on their own.

electricalperson

mdshunk said:
My only trick is to use an RAB Stealth sensor, then you don't have to be so fussy. Just use your best judgment and it'll be fine 9 times out of 10. Customer supplied... they're on their own.
thats the only brand i used. i installed a gotcha motion sensor i probably wont install those again. i also installed a super stealth and i liked it a lot. for the basic sensor install im only going to install the stealth and above from now on.

mdshunk

electricalperson said:
i told them the same thing. i said i will call you tommorw to see if the motion is good for you and if its not ill come twist it a bit. i also explained that they are tough to aim right the first time.
I wouldn't have done that. I'd have told them right at the time of the call that these things are notoriously fussy to get setup, and that they might have to twist it a bit. I sure wouldn't go begging for a callback, such as you're basically doing when you call to check on it, because that's exactly what you'll get. The job was done right in the first place. If they want the God-forsaken piece of garbage pointed 3 degrees more north, they can have a ball doing that.

Rich R

Here's the deal, I always tell the customer that it may need adjustment once it gets dark out, since the sensor in test mode is not 100% accurate. I show them how to move the head and also how to turn the sensitivity knob

Problem is, you told the customer you would come out and " twist it for them "

If you charge them for it, they will probably pay but don't expect any repeat business or any refferals. What I would do to cover my self is call them up and say that you won't be in the area for at least a week but that they can adjust the motion head just by turning it and that it is best done at night. No tools are even needed. If you luck out they will say that they will adjust it.

It also depends on the customer, if its a little old lady I wouldn't tell her to break out the 6 footer and start adjusting. I would just go do it

mdshunk

Rich R said:
It also depends on the customer, if its a little old lady I wouldn't tell her to break out the 6 footer and start adjusting. I would just go do it
Agreed, but I find that most of the people in the "little old lady" category don't even know such a thing exists, and they're okay with a light that works off a switch.

electricalperson

reason why i said i would twist it for them is because they are an old couple. both are in there 70s and i really dont want the husband climbing the latter. its a 200 pound rated aluminum latter. he has a hard time seeing as well. i dont mind doing things like this for old people.

Status
Not open for further replies.