Chase nipple

Status
Not open for further replies.

jumper

Looking for reference for fill in a chase nipple. Note 4 in Chapter 9 does not seem to directly apply.

(4) Where conduit or tubing nipples having a maximum
length not to exceed 600 mm (24 in.) are installed between
boxes, cabinets, and similar enclosures, the
nipples shall be permitted to be filled to 60 percent of
their total cross-sectional area, and 310.15(B)(3)(a) adjustment
factors need not apply to this condition.

Looking for reference for fill in a chase nipple. Note 4 in Chapter 9 does not seem to directly apply.

I would think it is a tubing nipple not exceeding 24"

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
IMO the article you posted works for a chase nipple. Seriously, why wouldn't it? I don't think you'll find anything that is specific for chase nipples.

kwired

Electron manager
If the chase nipple is a raceway, which raceway table applies for 60% fill. If it is a fitting then is it associated with a particular raceway like say a connector? Or is it its own class of fitting and there is no fill requirement. How about offset nipples?

I would think it is a tubing nipple not exceeding 24"

Chase nipples are listed as fittings, not raceways.

I found no fill restrictions for fittings in the 2008 NEC.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
Ignorant Brit strikes again.........
What is a chase nipple?
cn200.gif

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Bump. So the answer lies in the listing and not the NEC?

I know this seems like a silly question, but I really do have a reason for asking.
I'm not sure there is an NEC answer for this. At first glance it would seem reasonable to treat it as a 24" or less nipple and use 60% fill. But then that begs the question of what type of conduit would you use as the basis for the calculation. In the old days before we had a chart for each type of conduit (they were all treated as the same nominal size for fill purposes) you could just say a 2" nipple was the same as a 2" conduit. It's a head scratcher.:cool:

mike1061

If you call it a nipple, would you not be able to use the 24" and under rule. If you call it a fitting that has different rules, how do you apply a piece if EMT 24 inches with two set screw connectors? Do you apply the 24" and under rules to the EMT and a different rule to the fittings?
Thanks
Mike

kwired

Electron manager
If you call it a nipple, would you not be able to use the 24" and under rule. If you call it a fitting that has different rules, how do you apply a piece if EMT 24 inches with two set screw connectors? Do you apply the 24" and under rules to the EMT and a different rule to the fittings?
Thanks
Mike

With the EMT you do have a raceway and a fill rule for the raceway. The fitting doesn't necessarily have a fill rule but still will not be filled any more than the associated raceway.

With the chase nipple there is no associated raceway - except maybe if it is threaded into a coupling on the end of a RMC or IMC. But in that case you still have similar circumstances to an EMT connector.

If you have a chase nipple only, which raceway table applies to fill of the nipple?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Remember the discussion about 24" raceway and someone brought up the fact that an LB is not a raceway but a fitting so you could have 24" of raceway plus the LB. Well that question was presented at a meeting a a CMP member said the LB was an extension of that raceway so de rating must be used.

I think we need to use common sense here- I know the code doesn't always do this- A chase nipple is no different than any other raceway so why would that be an issue. The reason is for overheating..... JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.