Cheap parkinglot poles

Status
Not open for further replies.

220/221

I really like your idea, but I gotta ask, is this even legal?

Beats me. It is done all the time here for tennis court lighting. The fence guys just set 6 or 8 poles along with their other galvanized stuff that wraps the tennis court for the chain link fencing.

I did a crapload of them in the 80's. I'd set the fixtures from a lift, drill and 1/2tap the poles at the base, attach a wp box via rigid nipple and hand dig around them for the wrapped rigid conduit. It kept me in shape throughout my 30's.

All the street lighting here is just buried in the dirt about 5'

iwire

Staff member
220/221 said:
Beats me. It is done all the time here for tennis court lighting. The fence guys just set 6 or 8 poles along with their other galvanized stuff that wraps the tennis court for the chain link fencing.

Are the poles less then 8' tall?

220/221

24' stock with 4' below grade.

No need for a hand hole (in my own logical opinion) because there are no splices in the pole. Jb's are attached to the exterior.

Is it legal? Don't know, don't care :cool:

220/221

The NEC is not on my priority list.

I have a whole life to deal with.

I can't care about everything.

Some may think it is sad to feel the way you do about the NEC. I don't BTW. It's just another thing I don't care about. Don't get me wrong. I care about you as a person and I respect your knowledge and contributions both here and I assume to society......but I don't care what you think about the NEC or what you think of my viewpoints.:roll:

Just because it's illegal doen't make it unsafe. Just because it's legal doesn't make it safe

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
220/221 said:
Just because it's illegal doen't make it unsafe. Just because it's legal doesn't make it safe

But the fact it is a violation makes it a violation and the fact you claim to be an electrician is a lie, your just a handyman if you can't follow the code.

LawnGuyLandSparky

iwire said:
Why would anyone want to run company in a state that is so unfriendly to business? :-?

When I'm driving up Jericho Turnpike at night and the used car dealer's lot lights are blinding me, purposely to draw attention and therefore increase sales, you bet your kaboddle I'm glad one call to the town prompts a swarm of code compliance officers to start looking into matters.

Our utility sells "site lighting" on a monthly basis to commercial business as well. They started using 500w metal halide fixtures that shot practical daylight across the roofs right into residential neighborhoods, and as much spillage past the property lines as was focused within. They used a "one size fits all" fixture, and oftentimes aimed them towards business's from across a 4-8 lane highway.

Why be unfriendly to business? Because for some business's, if limits aren't set, business does whatever it wants regardless of all else. And in areas where one sees heavy regulation of business, it's because business has crossed the line and brought those regulation on themselves.

iwire

Staff member
LawnGuyLandSparky said:
Why be unfriendly to business? Because for some business's, if limits aren't set, business does whatever it wants regardless of all else. And in areas where one sees heavy regulation of business, it's because business has crossed the line and brought those regulation on themselves.

I was not just talking about the light pollution rule, Satcom, Emailer, Trevor and Celtic have posted many issues about NJs practices that make running a business needlessly difficult.

LawnGuyLandSparky

iwire said:
I was not just talking about the light pollution rule, Satcom, Emailer, Trevor and Celtic have posted many issues about NJs practices that make running a business needlessly difficult.

I was just using the light pollution rule as an example.

LawnGuyLandSparky

iwire said:
An example of what?

Oh yeah, I forgot.....bussiness is the enemy and all should be eliminated. :rolleyes:

Heck no. The enemy has already been identified here, numerous times. It is the ever increasing pressure on moneymaking entities to lower the bar, do it a little faster, do it a little cheaper, in order to profit from the lower standard. Once everyone else is onboard, it goes another notch down. Success goes to those with the lowest standards, and it's a big race to the bottom.

Look at all of our EPA laws. (Flourescent lamp disposal, for instance.) Who did they come to be?

When we didn't have an EPA, General Electric destroyed the Hudson River for all who lived downstream.

Business isn't evil. Money is.

tonyou812

LawnGuyLandSparky said:
Heck no. The enemy has already been identified here, numerous times. It is the ever increasing pressure on moneymaking entities to lower the bar, do it a little faster, do it a little cheaper, in order to profit from the lower standard. Once everyone else is onboard, it goes another notch down. Success goes to those with the lowest standards, and it's a big race to the bottom.

Look at all of our EPA laws. (Flourescent lamp disposal, for instance.) Who did they come to be?

When we didn't have an EPA, General Electric destroyed the Hudson River for all who lived downstream.

Business isn't evil. Money is.
"Money Making Entities" I guess you pay your employees with magic jelly beans and a pat on the back?

220/221

the fact it is a violation makes it a violation and the fact you claim to be an electrician is a lie, your just a handyman if you can't follow the code.

Don't call me a liar, punk. You are a moderator and should know better.

George.....what I am doing here is learning. I learn a lot because I have an open mind.

mdshunk

220/221 has a fleet of nice trucks and, if I'm not mistaken, drives a pretty new Porsche as a personal vehicle. George has to fix his own alternator on his rattletrap. I know who I listen to.

Status
Not open for further replies.