Chemical Cleaner/ Lubricants...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultramegabob

I am looking for a good chemical contact cleaner/lubricant to use in potentiometers, I had a can around for several years, but must have used it up finally.

Speedskater

Occupation
retired broadcast, audio and industrial R&D engineering
For decades "Cremlon" was the cleaner of choice. Environmental rules forced changes in the formula, then the product was sold to other manufactures. Last time I checked it was available from ITW Chemicals. A more available and popular product is "DeoxIT" from CAIG Labs. "DeoxIT" has several products that to different tasks.

ohmhead

Well the old tuner cleaner in the old tv days but now its all digital so thats out .

But on most electrical work i use Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol we use it to clean anything once it drys its safe . Years back we used it to clean high voltage splices the semi con before the kits they sell today that use the wipes in the cans .

Heres what you lube with olive oil its conductive .

Last edited:

ultramegabob

For decades "Cremlon" was the cleaner of choice. Environmental rules forced changes in the formula, then the product was sold to other manufactures. Last time I checked it was available from ITW Chemicals. A more available and popular product is "DeoxIT" from CAIG Labs. "DeoxIT" has several products that to different tasks.

Thanks .

ohmhead

Well years ago we used conducto -lube cant remember the company who made it but it had silver in a grease based application .

We used it on med /low voltage disconnects & switches any contact of make and break stuff .

Then came mobil- grease 28 synthetic based mineral oil stuff.

I think this is what is in high voltage splice kits today looks like vasoline gell

But my thinking is this keep it clean and dry ! grease or anything thats between a contact is more damaging then nothing between a contact . If its coated yes to keep air out but between a contact nothing is better .

Last edited:

hillbilly

Well the old tuner cleaner in the old tv days but now its all digital so thats out .

But on most electrical work i use Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol we use it to clean anything once it drys its safe . Years back we used it to clean high voltage splices the semi con before the kits they sell today that use the wipes in the cans .

Heres what you lube with olive oil its conductive .

Rubbing alcohol is (or was) used by old time service techs to clean contacts, etc. on old (analog type) pin ball machines (relays and timers/steppers).

steve

Status
Not open for further replies.