Chinese (?) Meggers

Status
Not open for further replies.

PetrosA

I've been looking to expand my test equipment to include a Megger. I'm seeing these grey metal, hand-cranked 500V megger testers new on eBay for about $70. Anyone have any experience with them? Are they worth it? I would want it mostly for troubleshooting things like pump wires etc. from time to time, and as I learn more about them I'd upgrade to a better model.

cadpoint

I personally wouldn't buy it!

How do you know that it's CAT 1, CAT 2, much listed UL Listed

You really have to take a moment and ponder why it's on E-bay!

I'd go into other thoughts but that would be way beyond the OP, and not suited for this Forum! :)

PetrosA

Well, that's just it - I don't know anything about them and test equipment nowadays is like cordless tools - tons to choose from and mostly made in China with the same Johnson motors :-?.

Judging by the recent recall, even Fluke can have serious mishaps which really worries me. Quality control for a point and shoot camera maker is one thing, faulty test equipment for electricians is another thing altogether. I seriously wish there was some kind of standards organization that would name compliant test equipment, regardless of country of origin, on an easily accessible list and that manufacturers would stop trying to market their wares to every homeowner out there through the box stores and Sears... :mad:

Cold Fusion

I've got a hand crank Biddle - about 40 years old, still works but the gears are getting noisy.

The other is an Amprobe AMB-1 (battery) it could be 20 years old. It works fine.

Both were inexpensive meters.

Hand crank is mechanical, highspeed, precision gears - that would be the only thing about buying inexpensive off-shore.

I'd probably look for an inexpensive battery powered instead of a hand crank. For what you are doing - getting started learning, inexpensive offshore wouldn't bother me any.

--- and that manufacturers would stop trying to market their wares to every homeowner out there through the box stores
But then again, I'm just a homeowner:D

cf

zog

I've been looking to expand my test equipment to include a Megger. I'm seeing these grey metal, hand-cranked 500V megger testers new on eBay for about $70. Anyone have any experience with them? Are they worth it? I would want it mostly for troubleshooting things like pump wires etc. from time to time, and as I learn more about them I'd upgrade to a better model.

If you ever work on 480V systems with 600V rated equipment you will need at least a 1000VDC megger anyways, 500V is worthless.

zog

Well, that's just it - I don't know anything about them and test equipment nowadays is like cordless tools - tons to choose from and mostly made in China with the same Johnson motors :-?.

Judging by the recent recall, even Fluke can have serious mishaps which really worries me. Quality control for a point and shoot camera maker is one thing, faulty test equipment for electricians is another thing altogether. I seriously wish there was some kind of standards organization that would name compliant test equipment, regardless of country of origin, on an easily accessible list and that manufacturers would stop trying to market their wares to every homeowner out there through the box stores and Sears... :mad:

I think cadpoint already covered that. UL and CAT III.

PetrosA

But then again, I'm just a homeowner:D

cf

Hehe, I guess that came out the wrong way. What I mean is that it used to be that to buy an Amprobe, Fluke, Klein or Milwaukee, you had to go to a specialty store. Nowadays, HD and Lowes are basically hipermarket hardware stores, and they carry a line of those name brands (some drastically modified) that once were reserved for the trade that have either already become, or are becoming, hardware store brands.

If you ever work on 480V systems with 600V rated equipment you will need at least a 1000VDC megger anyways, 500V is worthless.

I haven't received training on 480V systems and, at least in PA, no employer could force me to work on them. For the foreseeable future a 1000V unit wouldn't be needed.

Karl H

I'm a huge fan of the Fluke megger's. As Zog said, 500v is worthless.
Granted, most of the insulation test's I do are 480 supplies.
As Cadpoint pointed out, pay close attention to the CAT ratings.
"Made in China" translates to "Cheap and worthless."

brian john

There is an old saying:

"You get what you pay for"

Do you drive a Yugo?

I am sure this MAY BE the Yugo of Meggers and may last 4 months then need replacement.

I have some of my AVO Meggers from 24 years ago when I started in business.

Karl H

I am sure this MAY BE the Yugo of Meggers and may last 4 months then need replacement.

I made this same mistake before. Never again. Quality over price for me.

cadpoint

Hehe, I guess that came out the wrong way. What I mean is that it used to be that to buy an Amprobe, Fluke, Klein or Milwaukee, you had to go to a specialty store. Nowadays, HD and Lowes are basically hipermarket hardware stores, and they carry a line of those name brands (some drastically modified) that once were reserved for the trade that have either already become, or are becoming, hardware store brands.

1st sentence I totally agree, I think I did some of that myself.

The 2nd sentence I want to point out a big issue of merchandising that the box stores have picked up from Wally world,
not all products are in every store. The box stores now have a good demographic picture as to the style and amount
of items that they will carry in any one store, based on these demographic's("$"). I have seen products totally disappear from the shelves.

I can go to another town and the value and volume goes up in respects to what items that are available.
There demographic's are totally different than my neighborhood. I frankly make it a point to go to one particular box store just due to the fact that I've seen the tools and bigger and better items available.

So until you get 4 stores of each Box and have what choices you think you do, don't get run over in the aisles. :)

There are plenty of equipment and tool house /supply houses on-line and even now there running sales for this one item and the run of the mill stuff.
Even the box stores are available to browse, but you won't see this foreign brand, but you will see a limited brand name selection.

UL is going to a hologram image sticker, FWIW ...

76nemo

I haven't received training on 480V systems and, at least in PA, no employer could force me to work on them. For the foreseeable future a 1000V unit wouldn't be needed.

If you want to test ANY cables/wiring rated at 600V, a 1000V capability IS needed.

zog

UL is going to a hologram image sticker, FWIW ...

Ul did the hologram, and now is doing something better, special stickers that only look special when a special light is put on them, distributors have thee guns to check for the real UL labels on some items. They are working on some even cooler stuff for the future, as is CSA, TUV, etc...

PetrosA

The 600V->1000V capability is a valid point. Thanks for mentioning that.

I'm glad that UL is getting their stickers in order, but they're not a quality control agency, just a safety agency, which has more to do with insurance companies than my safety.

76nemo

Even in the economy we live in today, as Brian John pointed out, you get what you pay for. Although IR testing is somewhat new to you, save a little more and buy a half way decent megohmeter. When it comes to test equipment, never settle for your lesser dollar spent.

DavisIMI

I have one the grey $70 meggers that come from ebay. I also have a 5000V one that cost almost $5000.00. I bought the one off of ebay several years ago. It doesn't even have a name, its a 500V one and worked fine for megging out feeders and tough pulls that the insulation condition might have been compromised. I usually only buy Fluke and AEMC, (that's what the 5000V megger is), but at the time I bought this one off of ebay I needed one and didn't have a lot of funds. I hate to say it but its worked fine and I've gotten well more than $70 worth of use out of it. I for one am one who always says,"you get what you pay for", and live by it, but I guess this one time I got lucky. If you need a megger and don't have $500 to $5000 to spend on one, I don't think you will go wrong with the on for $70. Heck, If it works one time on a big pull and keeps you from blowing the doors off of a $1500 pnl then it was worth the money. They are good for a stand by or to let your men have to use and leave on the job to use on wire pulls, but plan on getting a good one later for pm and testing.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I have one.

I have one.

I bought one of those Chinese hand crank testers.

When I got it the needle movement was sticky. I asked the seller if it would be OK for me to try to fix it. Agreed. It took me less time to repair the problem than it would have for me to pack it for shipping.

Once I got the meter repaired I tested the output voltage and found it to be right at 1000 volts. I checked resistance with a known 2 meg resistor and that was as close as any of the other meters I have.

The unit seems to be very well built. I just wanted an alternative to my battery powered meters, one of which is a real Megger by AVO. I have a Japanese meter, too. I can't recall the name but the meter is around 30 years old and still looks like jewelry. From what I understand it was top of the line in the 70's.

I guess if you aren't afraid to tear stuff apart and fix it, the Chinese meters are OK for the price.

That being said, I got the AVO used off eBay for around 30 bucks.

76nemo

I bought one of those Chinese hand crank testers.

When I got it the needle movement was sticky. I asked the seller if it would be OK for me to try to fix it. Agreed. It took me less time to repair the problem than it would have for me to pack it for shipping.

Once I got the meter repaired I tested the output voltage and found it to be right at 1000 volts. I checked resistance with a known 2 meg resistor and that was as close as any of the other meters I have.

The unit seems to be very well built. I just wanted an alternative to my battery powered meters, one of which is a real Megger by AVO. I have a Japanese meter, too. I can't recall the name but the meter is around 30 years old and still looks like jewelry. From what I understand it was top of the line in the 70's.

I guess if you aren't afraid to tear stuff apart and fix it, the Chinese meters are OK for the price.

That being said, I got the AVO used off eBay for around 30 bucks.

The thing with that is that once you open up that meter/tester, all safety ratings are long gone out the door!!!!! I have to say servicing your own test equipment is a highly dangerous idea.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
The thing with that is that once you open up that meter/tester, all safety ratings are long gone out the door!!!!! I have to say servicing your own test equipment is a highly dangerous idea.

That would be true for most people. I have been repairing devices successfully for 30 years now.

I also build my own test equipment.

From what I have seen come out of repair facilities lately, I prefer to do my own work.

For the safety ratings, this meter doesn't even have a brand name. Just a model number. I doubt any such ratings even exist.

I am not recommending buying or not or repairing or not, just passing along my personal experiences.

I used to run 85kV Hi-Pots. A crank insulation tester is almost a toy for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.