Chinese motor question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Besoeker3

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Just imagine the UK is one of 5 countries on earth to use the 230V 50hz system and the rest of world standardized on the US 60 hz system.
Maybe not.....

Abu Dhabi
Albania
Algeria
Angola
Australia
Bahrain
Cambodia
China
Egypt
Falkland Islands
Greenland
India

Shall I continue ?

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Similar with “mega”.
“This is a mega trend!” So it is a trend of 1,000,000 things? A “mega sale” is a sale of something that costs $1 million?

But now after contestant abuse of the term, “mega” just means large. We already had a word for that, it was “large”…

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Maybe not.....

Abu Dhabi
Albania
Algeria
Angola
Australia
Bahrain
Cambodia
China
Egypt
Falkland Islands
Greenland
India

Shall I continue ?
LOL I hit post too quickly I meant to say "Just imagine if the UK is was one of 5 countries on earth to use the 230V 50hz system and the rest of world standardized on the US 60 hz system."

Besoeker3

Occupation
LOL I hit post too quickly I meant to say "Just imagine if the UK is was one of 5 countries on earth to use the 230V 50hz system and the rest of world standardized on the US 60 hz system."
No problem. I'm just an old phart and I have travelled around quite a few different countries. And different frequencies. One of the projects was one of the 1200 Hertz for Boeing in USA. From max frequency to zero in one second. Part of the job.

kwired

Electron manager
Similar with “mega”.
“This is a mega trend!” So it is a trend of 1,000,000 things? A “mega sale” is a sale of something that costs $1 million?

But now after contestant abuse of the term, “mega” just means large. We already had a word for that, it was “large”…
Or could be there are 1 million items for sale?

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
It still going to run about 17-18% faster because of the frequency, which will cause the centrifugal fan to demand more power at that speed ...
The essential takeaway: You need to consider both the motor and the load.

No problem. I'm just an old phart and I have traveled around quite a few different countries. And different frequencies. One of the projects was one of the 1200 Hertz for Boeing in USA. From max frequency to zero in one second. Part of the job.
What on Earth was Boeing doing?
Were they driving nominally-400 Hz motors? (actual frequency only 3x nominal?)

garbo

I was given a dust collector that presents as new. The motor plate states 220 volt and 50hz. From what I gather the 50hz is a non issue as their support said it is fine on 60hz. The next issue is that this has a 120v plug on the cord. They stated that after changing the plug to a 220v plug it will work as intended here in the states. Inspected the wiring and found that the ground wire that is fastened to the motor frame also passes through the 3 pole switch and is switched along with the power leads. I find this very strange and wouldn't think a ground should be switched.
Is there some anomaly in China that requires a switched ground? In China or other countries is there actually 220v supplied on one wire and completes with a neutral? I have no experience with Asian or European standards. I was going to install the plug and go for it but thought it would be worth the conversation first. Thanks for any info.
I go way out of my way to never purchase of use any electrical safety or test equipment from communist china. Had way too many problems with their inferior products. A few years ago somebody ordered spare 40, 50, 60, 75 & a 100 HP motor for various air handlers. I told my boss to return the cheating china 100 HP plain name NEMA motor due to tag stating to use wire that was good for at least 105 or 110 degrees C. Of course al! of the air handlers only had THHW/THWN wire from VFD'S to motors that would have to be replaced.. So in my mind any motor that demands such a high temperature rated supply conductors has to run very hit most likely due to cutting corners on wire, iron, cooling fan etc. Years ago when I switched my house over to LED'S from two companies and all made in cheating chiba. Within 60 days over 25% of them either started giving out more code ( short & long flashes ) or stopped working. Same with next batch from china. Finally purchased made in USA LED'S that come with a 5 year warranty. Some are over 7 years old and not one has failed.

kwired

Electron manager
I go way out of my way to never purchase of use any electrical safety or test equipment from communist china. Had way too many problems with their inferior products. A few years ago somebody ordered spare 40, 50, 60, 75 & a 100 HP motor for various air handlers. I told my boss to return the cheating china 100 HP plain name NEMA motor due to tag stating to use wire that was good for at least 105 or 110 degrees C. Of course al! of the air handlers only had THHW/THWN wire from VFD'S to motors that would have to be replaced.. So in my mind any motor that demands such a high temperature rated supply conductors has to run very hit most likely due to cutting corners on wire, iron, cooling fan etc. Years ago when I switched my house over to LED'S from two companies and all made in cheating chiba. Within 60 days over 25% of them either started giving out more code ( short & long flashes ) or stopped working. Same with next batch from china. Finally purchased made in USA LED'S that come with a 5 year warranty. Some are over 7 years old and not one has failed.
What are we supposed to do when a client purchases equipment that is bottom line stuff and wants us to connect it?

My warranty in that situation is for my portion of the install and doesn't cover their poorly made equipment.

jrjr2u

Occupation
retired
Follow up- I appreciate all of the input! I did install new wire and a 220v 20a plug on the motor. It seems to be working just fine so far. It runs cool and quiet. Time will tell I guess.

Besoeker3

Occupation
What on Earth was Boeing doing?
Were they driving nominally-400 Hz motors? (actual frequency only 3x nominal?)
It was aircraft fuselages that were being manufactured. We did few special specials from special high frequency water cooled motors to 10,000 MW Unity Static Kramers.

garbo

What are we supposed to do when a client purchases equipment that is bottom line stuff and wants us to connect it?

My warranty in that situation is for my portion of the install and doesn't cover their poorly made equipment.
That is a tuff situation. I would put it in the quote about all such concerns. A couple of times I had struggling artists that wanted a quote on wiring their studios that included a lot of home made very questionable luminares. Told them that they would have to hire maybe an inspection agency or electrical engineer to inspect and approve them in writing before I would give a quote. From my 50 years in the trade cannot remember when the last foreign made machine either had a UL sticker or would pass mustard. Had numerous German made extremely sturdy machines that always had start stop pushbuttons improperly wired. On everyone of them if you held in the stop button and pushed in start button machines would run as long as start button was held in. Everyone that performs work on a machine should know that before working on equipment you must perform OSHA approved LOTO but way too many times have observed production& facilities personal just push in a stop button. With lifetime liability issues you certainly have to cover you know what. I ran a couple of 100 amp 480 volt circuits to two foreign made machines that had flimsy push in terminals for the #2 guage copper wired I pulled in and refused to use so I made the tech make the connections while I was there. I put it in writing that I would not be responsible for such flimsy connections. Terminals on first machined burnt out within 2 or 3 weeks and second machine showed signs of overheating. This was a new customer who in the long run appreciated my concerns and listened to me when I brought up concerns.

kwired

Electron manager
That is a tuff situation. I would put it in the quote about all such concerns. A couple of times I had struggling artists that wanted a quote on wiring their studios that included a lot of home made very questionable luminares. Told them that they would have to hire maybe an inspection agency or electrical engineer to inspect and approve them in writing before I would give a quote. From my 50 years in the trade cannot remember when the last foreign made machine either had a UL sticker or would pass mustard. Had numerous German made extremely sturdy machines that always had start stop pushbuttons improperly wired. On everyone of them if you held in the stop button and pushed in start button machines would run as long as start button was held in. Everyone that performs work on a machine should know that before working on equipment you must perform OSHA approved LOTO but way too many times have observed production& facilities personal just push in a stop button. With lifetime liability issues you certainly have to cover you know what. I ran a couple of 100 amp 480 volt circuits to two foreign made machines that had flimsy push in terminals for the #2 guage copper wired I pulled in and refused to use so I made the tech make the connections while I was there. I put it in writing that I would not be responsible for such flimsy connections. Terminals on first machined burnt out within 2 or 3 weeks and second machine showed signs of overheating. This was a new customer who in the long run appreciated my concerns and listened to me when I brought up concerns.
Nothing wrong with providing CYA information as well as telling them other situations like OSHA compliance issues that may come up. Simply refusing to hook up foreign made equipment with what seems like no apparent reason to the owner often just means they will look for someone else to connect it.

LOTO also is not an NEC covered issue. Most the disconnecting means NEC requires aren't even required to be lockable but OSHA may still require them to be locked when used to interrupt energy for working on equipment even when right next to whoever is working on the equipment. NEC mostly only requires a locking method when the disconnect is permitted to not be within sight of the equipment it supplies.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Not just confined to foreign manufactured equipment, many years ago I designed a safety control for a big box stores saws to prevent customers from using the saws. Built several hundred of them, but the bean counters at the big box stores wanted something cheaper, and had an actual controls manufacturer try to copy my design. The modifications they did to my design would bypass the stop button while the keypad output was on. If the keypad failed, the saw could not be turned off.

Status
Not open for further replies.