Choosing a LED fixture

Status
Not open for further replies.

JdoubleU

LED fixtures are really taking off but it is becomming difficult to know what is a good fixture. There is so much junk out there. What are a few basic things to look for, questions I can ask a rep to insure I am getting a decent fixture as it pertains to the LEDs and the Driver? I am trying to make sure I get a good fixture for our Main Gym on Campus. I was told to look at there IES files and I get pages and pages of stuff I don't fully understand. I just want a simple check list of things to make sure of. Can anyone help me with this?

PetrosA

I haven't bought much of the type of fixture I think you're talking about, but in general I've found that buying from name brands who have been around for a while is a pretty decent indication of quality. I've bought Osram/Sylvania, Philips and RAB fixtures with success so far. I've also bought some residential products from cheaper, lesser known manufacturers where I'm not 100% satisfied with the light quality, but the customers have been happy.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
LED fixtures are really taking off but it is becomming difficult to know what is a good fixture. There is so much junk out there. What are a few basic things to look for, questions I can ask a rep to insure I am getting a decent fixture as it pertains to the LEDs and the Driver? I am trying to make sure I get a good fixture for our Main Gym on Campus. I was told to look at there IES files and I get pages and pages of stuff I don't fully understand. I just want a simple check list of things to make sure of. Can anyone help me with this?

IES file metrics can separate poor performers from well engineered LED luminary's, critical to sports arena lighting, HID retrofits, and street lighting. Showing an institutional or public-works customer using that product w/ IES file, is customary unless you are a first adopter, buying a counterfeit product, or both.

Without a robust OEM warranty, volume retailers with Over-The-Counter returns processing may avoid being first adopters of the latest LED's, since they suffer more losses on bad-model returns.

It seems to me that remote, overseas, or inter-State OEM's can sell more junk, or assembly-line rejects to direct on-line buyers, if no OTC returns are available, or if returns are less likely do to return-shipping cost, or inconvenience.

hbendillo

I would suggest looking at manufacturers of known quality LED light fixtures. Cree and LSI are a couple of manufacturers I use. Look at the warranty provided by the manufacturer for their LED's and drivers. Warranty should be no less than 5 years but Cree offers up to 10 years on many of their fixtures. Find the lighting rep that carries these products and get a quote. Ask them to provide a photometric layout for your gym and compare.

Status
Not open for further replies.