Chop or Core Wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

If you had (4) 4" conduits going through a masonry bock wall(existing) would you chop out a "window" or core individual holes. I believe it's usually an opening made with hammer drill. Thanks.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
With 4-4" conduits going through the wall, that is the equivalent of taking out two full blocks. You might not have any issue if you spread them out, but if they are close together, the blocks above may lose stability. In that case, a metal lintel (basically angle iron) should probably be installed above the removed sections. I would consult a block mason. Coring is probably more stable since you are leaving more material in place.

JFletcher

If you had (4) 4" conduits going through a masonry bock wall(existing) would you chop out a "window" or core individual holes. I believe it's usually an opening made with hammer drill. Thanks.

I'd put 2 holes in one block and 2 in another. Avg block is 8"H x 16"L, you're not getting 4 4" conduits thru one block. I'd just as soon not have to use large fire stop bricks to seal the opening or pay a mason to fix the hole.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
As Dave mentioned if it's solid filled then core drill, if the blocks ares still hollow then chop the hole. Solid filled walls also may have rebar in them which is easier to core drill through.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Not most always, if the block is below grade or being used to hold side pressure then they are filled. Probably other reasons as well.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
It gets really fun when you start punching/drilling through and a 2' pile of vermiculite insulation piles up on the floor.:rant:

Yeah! Always fun. I always knew to look for that before knocking a hole.
Do they still use it? I seem to recall it was linked to cancer?

KWH

Is it possible to get on top of wall and look down or does it go all the way to the deck.

Status
Not open for further replies.