Christmas lights

Status
Not open for further replies.
I observed many homeowners laid their christmas lightings on the lawn and also seen sprinkler systems activated at the same time. I am sure it was not plugged in to a GFCI protected circuit. This seems a code violation but is this enforceable by City's Building and Safety? Is this reportable?

Just looking for input and hopefully solution.

Roger

racraft

Re: Christmas lights

Unless lights and decorations are in the direct line of spray from a sprinkler, water falling on them should not be an issue. After all, rain falls on them.

As for code violations there are none, unless there are local ordinances or something is installed permanently.

New outdoor outlets must be GFCI protected, but outlets installed before this requirement went into effect do not need to be changed, although it is a good idea to do so.

Obviously for safety reasons only lights and decorations marked for outdoor use should be used outdoors, they should be UL (or similar) listed, and manufacturers instructions should be followed.

humble

I picked up some old Christmas lights with the big bulbs and strung them around the building outside. I hope they are not a fire hazard?

Humble

hurk27

Humble I have been chaseing Chevy chase's for the last two month's It seems that every year they come out with more outdoor Xmas lighting. and this makes for many a blown breakers. so we get a lot of calls to install dedicated circuits to power these "Chevy Chase Lights" :D

[ December 18, 2003, 02:00 AM: Message edited by: hurk27 ]

Status
Not open for further replies.