Chritsmas lighting display in park

Status
Not open for further replies.

e57

As for winter survival, unless the shop-built stuff is very well made, I don't see how it's any better than commercial stuff. Assuming new parts, given the cost you're probably ahead to buy pre-made. Also, consider the cost of storage and transportation..
Storage and transport - yeah.... But those spider boxes - the outlets are like 8" of the ground... If you build and keep it - you have it when you want. And would be less costly than renting over time for 2 months out of the year - every year, and not really suited to the purpose...

I would hate dig one of these out of the snow on my knees to re-set a GFI. I have dug them out of mud before, and it was not fun. And for some of them the parts are not replacable... (The GFI units)

00fcal_ph1_526731499.jpg

I would rather walk to something like this - but a little more weather-proofed... (like what I drew)

03cjohnston1ph03_866262551.jpg

Power Joe

I knew I had come to the right place!:)

Thanks for all the reply's.

I should have mentioned that I am in Canada, however electrical codes between the two countries are becoming more similar every year and besides I'm not really asking about code related issues.

As this installation is not in a dwelling the code requirments don't require GFCI outlets. Our worksafe (osha) requirements on the other hand do require GFCI outlets unless we come up with an 'assured grounding' plan and provide appropriate training which I'm in the process of now.

I should also have mentioned that I am trying to improve a show that's been going on for several years now but has been very poorly done in the past.

I have re-built all of the distribution with new equipment and cableing. The branch circuits are the ones giving me the most trouble. In the past, electricians have 'home built' spyder type boxes using 1110 boxes or 4" squares with taylor cover plates. All of which where laid in the snow or rain and where completely unacceptable.

E57, your drawing is almost exactly what we have built for the distribution panels. The panels are fed with sow cable from portable transformers scattered through-out the site. The transformers are fed with either 600 volt sow or teck cables from the main distribution.

I really like the idea of a commercially built 'spyder' type box and have talked today to a local electrical kiosk and enclosure builder to design something that will suite my needs. He will get back to me later this week or early next week.

Thanks again for all the reply's

Here are a few pictures of the lighting show:

Catalpa3_sm.jpg

LakeWalkGingko_sm.jpg

LakeWalkRed2_sm.jpg

Pathway_sm.jpg

e57

I really like the idea of a commercially built 'spyder' type box and have talked today to a local electrical kiosk and enclosure builder to design something that will suite my needs. He will get back to me later this week or early next week.

Thanks again for all the reply's

Here are a few pictures of the lighting show:

Catalpa3_sm.jpg

LakeWalkGingko_sm.jpg

LakeWalkRed2_sm.jpg

Pathway_sm.jpg

So - you're the sucker - I mean individual they call when that goes out X-mas eve.....

I'm sure the enclosures will be bullet proofed!

Status
Not open for further replies.