circuit breaker concern and trouble shooting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
can a circuit breaker worn out from been disconnted too many time due to over load?
we just got a four day rain in california, my friends 's bath room circuit breaker keep on disconneted every after they turn it back on?:?
any one has any idea ?

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
that could be a dangerous situation. The breaker should be turned off until a qualified electrician can determine what is wrong.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
The Navy taught us two things about tripped breakers. The first thing: If a breaker trips once, you are permitted to attempt to reset it one time. I am not so sure that was a good approach, as it didn't necessarily require a clear indication of why it tripped in the first place. The second thing: If the breaker trips a second time, you must keep it turned off until you find, and resolve, the reason for the trip. That is a good approach.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
can a circuit breaker worn out from been disconnted too many time due to over load?
Yes, it is possible for anything to fail.
A small 'loadcenter' breaker like you have, must be capable of tripping hundreds of times on overloads and thousands of times for switching, in order to be a listed device. However, for their ability to handle shorts is much more limited.

But as Steve said, the situation you are describing needs to be looked at by an experienced troubleshooter.

As a rule, breakers should never be reclosed unless you know the reason why they tripped in the first place.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Is the breaker a GFCI? Lots of houses were wired with a GFCI breaker for the bathroom and usually put an outside receptacle on the same circuit. With all the rain, if in your case there is an outside receptacle on that circuit (GFCI) that's probably why it is tripping. Have someone check for that.

that could be a dangerous situation. The breaker should be turned off until a qualified electrician can determine what is wrong.
this is good project for a electrical student? I want to trouble shoot this before tell the guy go get an electricain,
:happyyes:

hurk27

I would look for an outside circuit that is also fed from this breaker, if the breaker is a GFCI (it will have a test button) any water getting into a receptacle or something plugged into a receptacle on this circuit will trip it, the only other place I could relate to the rain is a crawl space, Is there water in it???

Look for holiday lights left in, outside extension cords, see what is not working?

If this is a regular breaker then maybe a underground branch circuit out to a pole light or shed, garage tied onto this circuit?

the list is endless, but it might not have anything to do with the rain, it could be just a coincidence and could be a short somewhere that could cause a fire, so know when your over your head!

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I would look for an outside circuit that is also fed from this breaker, if the breaker is a GFCI (it will have a test button) any water getting into a receptacle or something plugged into a receptacle on this circuit will trip it, the only other place I could relate to the rain is a crawl space, Is there water in it???

Look for holiday lights left in, outside extension cords, see what is not working?

If this is a regular breaker then maybe a underground branch circuit out to a pole light or shed, garage tied onto this circuit?

the list is endless, but it might not have anything to do with the rain, it could be just a coincidence and could be a short somewhere that could cause a fire, so know when your over your head!

See post #5

thanks

thanks

Is the breaker a GFCI? Lots of houses were wired with a GFCI breaker for the bathroom and usually put an outside receptacle on the same circuit. With all the rain, if in your case there is an outside receptacle on that circuit (GFCI) that's probably why it is tripping. Have someone check for that.[/Q
it is one of the out door receptacle that triping the GFCI , they have four back yard and one front yard receptacle on the same circuit that protect by the GFCI in this bath room.
disable that problems back yard receptacle and every thing working. next time go back change the bad receptacle.
but I found some major violation on this house I think?
check out the next post by me
:weeping:

Status
Not open for further replies.