circuit breaker height

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can a Circuit Breaker having an operating handle (Main Switchboard or Distribuition Switchboard), be mounted above
six foot seven inches

jumper

Doesn't sound like you meet any of the exceptions.

240.24 Location in or on Premises.
(A) Accessibility. Overcurrent devices shall be readily accessible
and shall be installed so that the center of the grip
of the operating handle of the switch or circuit breaker,
when in its highest position, is not more than 2.0 m (6 ft
7 in.) above the floor or working platform, unless one of the
following applies:
(1) For busways, as provided in 368.17(C).
(2) For supplementary overcurrent protection, as described
in 240.10.
(3) For overcurrent devices, as described in 225.40 and
(4) For overcurrent devices adjacent to utilization equipment
that they supply, access shall be permitted to be
by portable means.

stew

just had a job to replace a meter and mast due to damage. the old monster fusible disconnect inside nippled to the panel has a handle that is 6'9" . its existing and I hope I dont get corrected on it. wonder how old the requirement is? This was installed around 1964 or so.

Gac66610

we had one of those, here they let us do a permit for a meter and mast replacement, they didn't even look at the panel

stew

ya i am gonna try and keep him out of the panel area although its a city inspector so they get picky. gonna try not to tell him that we moved the mast rght over the top of the new meter base. It was located about 15 ft on the opposite corner and they piped it into a 3 ft cockloft and over and 90 down to the disco. then out the disco to the meter and back again to the disco with no provision for landing the neut. they just ran it straight thru to the panel. I added a meter style lug at the disco and ran the neut properly, eliminated the non Wash. code length of unfused conductors,isolated the neutral in the panel,added a proper ground bar kit,closed the 2 unclosed openings in the panel and added spacers for missing breakers,added 2 ground rods,added hot-cold-waste bonding and made it all a proper code compliant install. If he calls me for the exisiting handle height hes got no................

jumper

just had a job to replace a meter and mast due to damage. the old monster fusible disconnect inside nippled to the panel has a handle that is 6'9" . its existing and I hope I dont get corrected on it. wonder how old the requirement is? This was installed around 1964 or so.

A quick glance at my 1978 does not show the 6'7" rule. Somewhere I have a 1984, but ain't seen it in awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.