Circuit Breakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian john

jrannis is correct, what size is the lower CB? are they the same style?

In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida
A local radio station use to plpay In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida every Saturday at 6:00 PM
I-Tunes does not have the full version.

Buck Parrish

glennyamada said:
What would cause a 3 phase 100a breaker to trip before the branch circuit
breaker which is rated at a lower amps?

(1)Lightning, (2)several circuits together pulling less then their load but more then 100 a. (3) short circuit (4) bad breaker (5) burned or corroded bus bar (6) If the power goes off then on quickly, Every thing starting at the same time. (7) etc...

glennyamada

Circuit Breakers

The load center consist of many single phase 20a and 50a double pole breakers. I was told the it could be the ACI rating of the main breaker, might be lower the the ones in the load center.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
glennyamada said:
The load center consist of many single phase 20a and 50a double pole breakers. I was told the it could be the ACI rating of the main breaker, might be lower the the ones in the load center.

No, No. NO.

The AIC rating of a molded case breaker has nothing to do with its trip characteristics. Another urban myth.

nakulak

brian john said:

In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida

you lost the album ?

iwire

Staff member
glennyamada said:
What would cause a 3 phase 100a breaker to trip before the branch circuit
breaker which is rated at a lower amps?
\

Plan and simple, a short circuit can cause that.

A single pole 20 amp breaker can have a lower, equal or higher instantaneous trip rating then the 100 amp breaker.

I have had a short circuit on a 30 amp breaker take out a 400 amp feeder, both breakers tripped at the same time.

jrannis

brian john said:

In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida

Its not that common to find the 17 minute version

cschmid

oh man now I am listening to In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida is that mandatory for the coordination issue we are discussing...I had to change over to the live version..

so if you have a true coordination issue every-time you short a circuit on that phase you should blow the main..

This problem also costs you cash as the meter does not measure the average usage it measure the highest usage so if you have one leg drawing more you pay more..that is just another coordination advantage or disadvantage..:D

glennyamada

Circuit Breakers

Troubleshoot yesterday and found that only the 100a 3 phase breaker is tripping. The breakers in the load center is not. I think it might be the feeder cable from the main to the load center. Could be insulation break down??

iwire

Staff member
Have you taken ampacity readings on the feeder?

If it is not a short circuit in a branch circuit the feeder may just be overloaded.

Status
Not open for further replies.