circuit for floresent lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timboe

We are installing a circuit for some floresent lights in a wharehouse. The 12ga wire is run in conduit with a 20 amp breaker and at every light there will be a j box to wire into. The other guy is trying to tell me he wants to use 14ga mc from the j box to the light and tie it to the 12ga and the breaker won't have to be changed to a 15amp breaker because the whip is under 6feet from connection point to light. He claims its in the NEC allowing this. I don't know why he wants a 14ga wire here but I'm not thinking this is in the Nec. Is it or not

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
We are installing a circuit for some floresent lights in a wharehouse. The 12ga wire is run in conduit with a 20 amp breaker and at every light there will be a j box to wire into. The other guy is trying to tell me he wants to use 14ga mc from the j box to the light and tie it to the 12ga and the breaker won't have to be changed to a 15amp breaker because the whip is under 6feet from connection point to light. He claims its in the NEC allowing this. I don't know why he wants a 14ga wire here but I'm not thinking this is in the Nec. Is it or not

I think what the other guy wants to do would be allowed under the tap rules if you were to use flexible conduit and THHN instead of MC.

If the lights had factory installed whips they would have 16AWG conductors, would already have connectors and would be legal without any fuss. I would get the whips.

JFletcher

I think what the other guy wants to do would be allowed under the tap rules if you were to use flexible conduit and THHN instead of MC.

If the lights had factory installed whips they would have 16AWG conductors, would already have connectors and would be legal without any fuss. I would get the whips.

Why is there an exception for lights? What code section is that under?

Also, do whips have to be made from stranded wire?

iwire

Staff member
See 240.4 or 240.5 I think

The conductors have to be fixture wires listed in article 402.

That will mean TFFN not THHN

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
IMO the fixture wire must have the "F" designation, starts at the fixture and ends at the junction box where the circuit wires are. The wiring between the switch and the fixture is considered circuit wire not fixture wire.

kwired

Electron manager
The luminaires in question are likely limited to 20 amps maximum branch circuit, but there can be cases where the fixture taps can be on up to 50 amp branch circuits. Was more common when HID luminaires were dominant.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Why is there an exception for lights? What code section is that under?
I dunno. I'm not near a code book right now. There is some crazy stuff about lights in there though. Check iwire's code reference, he's been known to be right on occasion.

Also, do whips have to be made from stranded wire?
Not sure. I think that rule has something to do with lights hanging from chains.

kwired

Electron manager
Don't know for certain on the stranded issue, but have seen both solid and stranded in listed whips, probably more stranded then solid for that matter.

dema

If the warehouse is very large, and you are under an energy code, then you must compute voltage drop. The NEC recommends it, but most energy codes require it. That means that if you have a run of 200' with 12 amps on it at 120V, then #10 wire is required. Just FYI.

Status
Not open for further replies.