Circuit Label

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!

Where do you provide a circuit label?

• On the face of the device cover plate.

• On the inside of the device box or cover plate.

• On the conductors within the device box.

• Do not provide label at the device.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Rock86

Occupation
Electrical Engineer / Electrician
I am going through my detail drawings and considering making a change. I would like to know your opinions.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Unless it's in the spec we generally did not provide labels at devices. We do use wire markers to indicate the circuit numbers when there are multiple circuits at one location or ina home run box.

4x4dually

Occupation
Electrical Engineer/ Ex-Electrician
One risk with putting the label on the cover plate is when the painters come and take off all the plates. They don't always all go back onto the same box, so things are now labeled wrong. No label is better than a wrong label.
Why are the covers put on before the painting is done?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Well right now, we have it specified/detailed as a label on the outside, but I am looking to change things.
Just realize that individual labels on every device plate costs money. You have to weigh the value of that information against what it will cost the client. In most cases it not worth the extra cost. A good as-built drawing may be a more cost effective solution.

Rock86

Occupation
Doesn't do the customer/client/tenant much good if the label isn't visible (without removing the cover).
I don't disagree. I have heard it done both ways. Some like it on the inside so the faceplate looks clean. it would be more for the repair tech and not the client.

Rock86

Occupation
This post didn't go the way I thought it would, but it was helpful non the less

I provide a label on the plate. Not sure I buy the painters shuffling them around theory. I would think a painter that isn't high and has some common sense (although that may not be many of them) Would either transfer the # to the mask on the outlet, or point out to whoever hired him that someone needs to. Probably a good chance outlets are getting changed too and hopefully the electrician will reidentify as needed.

4x4dually

Occupation
Electrical Engineer/ Ex-Electrician
My middle name is over-kill. I'd label them inside and outside. That solves all the issues and questions but does cost a tad more.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA 21 Hours from Winged Horses wi
Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Engineer
Not sure I buy the painters shuffling them around theory.
I see you never painted a room before! Unless every receptacle in a room is on the same circuit, as the painters just pile them up in a corner and paint. Or, just paint over the cover plates!:ROFLMAO:

Marking every mask with what was on a cover plate is just not in the painter's contract! Besides, doesn't the mask get painted over? Isn't that the purpose of masking? Start the sprayer!

A
I see you never painted a room before! Unless every receptacle in a room is on the same circuit, as the painters just pile them up in a corner and paint. Or, just paint over the cover plates!:ROFLMAO:

Marking every mask with what was on a cover plate is just not in the painter's contract! Besides, doesn't the mask get painted over? Isn't that the purpose of masking? Start the sprayer!
As I said I've just not found this to be much of a problem. Long time between repaintings, and then the space is usually remodeled or has other electrical work anyway. YMMV

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
As I've done work from time to time in my house, I use a Sharpie to mark the back side of the cover plate with the breaker number.