City water network creates parallel neutrals (parallel conductors)

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
Section 250-6(b) and (c), NEC – 1999, also states:
“(b) Alterations to Stop Objectionable Current. If the
use of multiple grounding connections results in an
objectionable flow of current, one or more of the following
alterations shall be permitted to be made, provided that the
requirements of Section 250-2(d) are met.
“Discontinue one or more but not all of such grounding
connections.
“Change the locations of the grounding connections.
“Interrupt the continuity of the conductor or conductive path
interconnecting the grounding connections.
“Take other suitable remedial action satisfactory to the
authority having jurisdiction.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
A public input was submitted for the 2026 code to eliminate the use of the metal underground water pipe as a required grounding electrode was rejected with the following panel statement.
Metal underground water piping has decades of safe history performing as grounding electrodes.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
My suggestion to the OP and anyone whom has concerns about the lack of earthing options in US electrical systems is to do a literature review of earthing systems, or take a EE review class on them. Look around at what other western countries that excel in electrical safety allow. The UK, Germany and Japan are good ones to start with.
Notably Japan. Many places allow different types of earthing systems while we only allow Terra Neutral Combined - then Separate or TN-C-S.
I'd suggest looking at the TT system in particular.
For a nominal fee it just happens my wife and I are available to travel the world for you and research these systems.

retirede

My suggestion to the OP and anyone whom has concerns about the lack of earthing options in US electrical systems is to do a literature review of earthing systems, or take a EE review class on them. Look around at what other western countries that excel in electrical safety allow. The UK, Germany and Japan are good ones to start with.
Notably Japan. Many places allow different types of earthing systems while we only allow Terra Neutral Combined - then Separate or TN-C-S.
I'd suggest looking at the TT system in particular.
For a nominal fee it just happens my wife and I are available to travel the world for you and research these systems.

Being a keyboard warrior is so much easier!