Clamps, GE Panel Covers

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Just did a job in an retail store. GE panel with latch clamps to secure cover. Not surprised that I couldn't get the clamps to turn properly then couldn't get them to tighten without moving again. I removed the clamps & sealed the holes with washers & short bolts. Drilled new holes at corners, drilled & tapped panel can to 1/4 x 20.

How did anyone ever see these clamps as a good idea? I think it had to be some engineer who needed an invention to his credit. I never knew anyone who liked them.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Just did a job in an retail store. GE panel with latch clamps to secure cover. Not surprised that I couldn't get the clamps to turn properly then couldn't get them to tighten without moving again. I removed the clamps & sealed the holes with washers & short bolts. Drilled new holes at corners, drilled & tapped panel can to 1/4 x 20.

How did anyone ever see these clamps as a good idea? I think it had to be some engineer who needed an invention to his credit. I never knew anyone who liked them.

Not a fan of them myself. Only good point was they often had feet on the bottom of the panel cover that sat on the box lip to hold the cover in place while I tried to get the clamps to tighten up without clamping a wire too.....

ceb58

Not a fan of them myself. Only good point was they often had feet on the bottom of the panel cover that sat on the box lip to hold the cover in place while I tried to get the clamps to tighten up without clamping a wire too.....
You are right the only good thing is the feet. For the rest of it, I want 5 min. alone with the clown that invented those covers.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I agree and the amount of working clamps is inversely proportional to the age of the cover. :roll:

kwired

Electron manager
Only disadvantage to the screws holding the cover on is often if screws are lost, they don't get replaced, or maybe the threads are stripped and the screw really serves no purpose.

jmellc

Occupation
Only disadvantage to the screws holding the cover on is often if screws are lost, they don't get replaced, or maybe the threads are stripped and the screw really serves no purpose.

Seen that too, but I have rarely seen clamps that worked well at all. If a screw hole strips it can be tapped to next larger size or threaded snaps can sometimes be found.

kwired

Electron manager
Seen that too, but I have rarely seen clamps that worked well at all. If a screw hole strips it can be tapped to next larger size or threaded snaps can sometimes be found.

My experience is that the clamps usually don't work just too bad, until someone comes along that doesn't know how to work them and messes them up.:happyyes: They back a screw all the way out that doesn't need be, parts get lost, then the thing never works correctly again, or something along that line.

norcal

Didn't all the panelboard manufacturers use those abominable clamps? I deal w/ circa 1963-4 SQ D NQOB panelboards w/ the same type & they can be a pain if in a hurry, the 1968 Zinsco's in the same building all use exposed 1/4-20 fasteners to attach the fronts. The methods used by SQ D, Siemens, & GE, today are a great improvement.

jumper

Didn't all the panelboard manufacturers use those abominable clamps? I deal w/ circa 1963-4 SQ D NQOB panelboards w/ the same type & they can be a pain if in a hurry, the 1968 Zinsco's in the same building all use exposed 1/4-20 fasteners to attach the fronts. The methods used by SQ D, Siemens, & GE, today are a great improvement.

I do not know about other manufactures, but GE also made covers with those !@#$% clamps.

jmellc

Occupation
GE was the main one that used them, as far as I have seen. Square D used them a while, as someone else mentioned. Their's had latches with sharp points, a great idea for pinching wire. 1 of the few dumb things Sq D ever did.

I agree some people backed the screws out too much or didn't understand the clamps. The finishing washers often have notches, showing whether clamp is vertical or horizontal. Ideally, you should be able to turn the washer, lining up the clamp. Do that to the top 2, then screw them moderately tight. Then do the rest same way, then tighten all. But I have seen few work well at all. The clamp either won't turn, keeps turning or won't grip. Worse yet, it seems to hold until you let go, then slips.

Worst I ever saw was a huge GE MDP in a hotel. Can about 6 feet tall, 4 feet wide. 2 men to hold cover in place and work clamps 1 at a time. Only good thing was the "foot" at the bottom of panel cover. After over 1/2 hour, we removed the clamps and drilled/tapped the can and cover for standard screws.

I have seen very few clamps that worked as intended.

Status
Not open for further replies.