Clarification of 250.104

Status
Not open for further replies.

pattbaa

What is the distinction between 250.104 (A), Metal water piping, "General" & (B), "Other metal piping" ?

(A), (1) requires a Bonding conductor of a size based on Tbl 250.66. The Art permits one of the connection- points to be "the one or more Grounding Electrodes".I presume this would include the "Supplemental" Grounding Electrode which is permitted to be connected with a #6 copper conductor.

Another connection-point is the "Grounding Electrode Conductor where of sufficient size". The ambiguity to me is that the GEC is also a size based on Tbl 250.66. What arrangement would cause the GEC to be of "insufficient" size?

(B) "Other metal piping" permits a metal-pipe Bonding conductor of a size based on the rating of the C-B protecting the circuit that would energize the piping.

I percieve the Bonding conductor for metallic piping to have a basic purposes--- (1), to "set" the metallic surface at Ground potential, and (2), to conduct a fault-current directly back to the "source", the panel where the OCPD is located.
Permitting a connection to a Grounding Electrode appears to be an in-direct path for fault-current.

ryan_618

Re: Clarification of 250.104

Originally posted by pattbaa:
What is the distinction between 250.104 (A), Metal water piping, "General" & (B), "Other metal piping" ?

Another connection-point is the "Grounding Electrode Conductor where of sufficient size". The ambiguity to me is that the GEC is also a size based on Tbl 250.66. What arrangement would cause the GEC to be of "insufficient" size?
If the water pipe is required to be bonded with 1/0 AWG, you could not tie it onto a 4 AWG conductor that is attached to the concrete encased electrode.

(B) "Other metal piping" permits a metal-pipe Bonding conductor of a size based on the rating of the C-B protecting the circuit that would energize the piping.

I percieve the Bonding conductor for metallic piping to have a basic purposes--- (1), to "set" the metallic surface at Ground potential
I disagree with you here.

and (2), to conduct a fault-current directly back to the "source", the panel where the OCPD is located.

I agree with you here.

Permitting a connection to a Grounding Electrode appears to be an in-direct path for fault-current.
Right. What is wrong with that?

Status
Not open for further replies.