Clarification on structural ceiling

Status
Not open for further replies.

skohrs

I have a drain vent pipe encroaching on the dedicated space of a service panel I replaced in the exact same location as the old panel.

This pipe is below the floor joists. Can I block around the pipe and install sheetrock to accomplish a structural ceiling?

[ April 29, 2005, 10:46 PM: Message edited by: skohrs ]

celtic

Re: Clarification on structural ceiling

If you were in NJ, you might be able to nothing...as per the Rehab Code. Rules that makes sense....

Barring NJ's exceptions...a drip pan of some sort might be more appropiate as SR is not waterproof.

skohrs

Considering we still have covered wagons on our Nebraska license plates, I'd say we're a good 20 years from adopting common sense codes like that.

What gets me is I replaced a panel that was completely deteriorated, inadequate, and had circuits doubled up on breakers. What I have now is a lot safer than before.

I was told I would have to relocate the panel into the garage. This location is directly under a bathtub. I would think the possibility of several gallons of water from an overflowing tub would be worse than the chance of rain water dripping from the drain vent.

[ April 30, 2005, 08:57 AM: Message edited by: skohrs ]

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

I would agree with Celtic that here in New Jersey if you're doing a service upgrade you would be permitted to simply remove the old panel and install the new one.

Regarding your question I would say that simply sheetrocking around the pipe would not satisfy the code since this is really not part of the structural ceiling.

Does the existing pipe run directly above the panel? According to 110.26(F)(1)(a) the required dedicated space above the panelboard is equal to only the width and depth of the panelboard. So if the panel were 4" deep and mounted to the wall the pipe would need be only 4" from the wall to it's edge.

[ April 30, 2005, 10:10 AM: Message edited by: infinity ]

Status
Not open for further replies.