clarification on this

Status
Not open for further replies.

copper chopper

Can some of you clarify this for me. This is for hospital installations. I have several outlets on the critical branch circuit behind the nurses stations on a typical patient room floor. This is not considered a Patient care area. Here is the argument between me and a co- worker. In patient rooms ( which is a patient care area) we use emt to pipe all the outlets together, but in a non-care area we use MC-Cable. Is this correct or not. I say it is here is why according to 517.30 C on page 432 of the 2008 code it says in patient care areas and shall comply with 517.13 A and B which again says patient care area. So please tell me if you think MC-Cable for critical circuits in a non-patient care area is OK.:cool:

Hendrix

Can some of you clarify this for me. This is for hospital installations. I have several outlets on the critical branch circuit behind the nurses stations on a typical patient room floor. This is not considered a Patient care area. Here is the argument between me and a co- worker. In patient rooms ( which is a patient care area) we use emt to pipe all the outlets together, but in a non-care area we use MC-Cable. Is this correct or not. I say it is here is why according to 517.30 C on page 432 of the 2008 code it says in patient care areas and shall comply with 517.13 A and B which again says patient care area. So please tell me if you think MC-Cable for critical circuits in a non-patient care area is OK.:cool:

IMO anything that is backed up by an emergency generator needs to be in pipe.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
In order to use a flexible wiring method for the Critical Branch anywhere in the hospital you have to meet one of the conditions of 517.30(C)(3)(3)

(3) Listed flexible metal raceways and listed metal sheathed cable assemblies in any of the following:
a. Where used in listed prefabricated medical headwalls
b. In listed office furnishings
c. Where fished into existing walls or ceilings, not otherwise accessible and not subject to physical damage
d. Where necessary for flexible connection to equipment

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.