Clarify 210.12

Status
Not open for further replies.

resistance

210.12(B) AFCI – BRANCH CIRCUIT EXTENSIONS OR MODIFICATIONS – DWELLING UNITS
[FONT=Calibri, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]An exception was added to the 2014 NEC stating that branch circuit extensions do not require AFCI protection if the extension is not more than 6 feet and does not include any additional outlets or devices. As a result, contractors will be able to replace load centers where an extension is necessary in the panel without needing to provide AFCI protection.[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Does the above mean: If you add an additional receptacle (device) to an existing circuit, you have to add an AFCI breaker or AFCI receptacle?
[/FONT]

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
210.12(B) AFCI – BRANCH CIRCUIT EXTENSIONS OR MODIFICATIONS – DWELLING UNITS
An exception was added to the 2014 NEC stating that branch circuit extensions do not require AFCI protection if the extension is not more than 6 feet and does not include any additional outlets or devices. As a result, contractors will be able to replace load centers where an extension is necessary in the panel without needing to provide AFCI protection.

Does the above mean: If you add an additional receptacle (device) to an existing circuit, you have to add an AFCI breaker or AFCI receptacle?

If you add a receptacle to an existing circuit then the entire circuit must be protected by an afci. At least that is how I read it. IMO, you should only be required to use afci on the portion that was extended but that is not what that section states-- the entire circuit needs afci unless you use a afci receptacle at the first outlet of the circuit

I just figured what NVM meant-- haha

resistance

Thank you! That section seems ridiculous! I said NVM because 100 people viewed the Q but didn’t respond :)

Status
Not open for further replies.