Class 1 Div 1 enclosure with non rated pressure transmitters

Status
Not open for further replies.

erfigge

Is there anyway to put non rated pressure transmitters and other electronics in a Class 1 Div 1 Enclosure and run tubing into the box for the pressure transmitters?

We are researching a new product with pressure transducers and we have to test it in a class 1 div 1 area.

Thanks.

Eric.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
erfigge said:
Is there anyway to put non rated pressure transmitters and other electronics in a Class 1 Div 1 Enclosure and run tubing into the box for the pressure transmitters?

We are researching a new product with pressure transducers and we have to test it in a class 1 div 1 area.

Thanks.

Eric.

The answer is probably yes. Whether it is practical or cost effective is another thing.

The tubing would be called capillary tubing, and would require fill fluid and an explosion proof diaphragm seal at both ends along with some kind of seal to enter the box.

It will be far cheaper to just buy explosion proof xmtrs or come up with some kind of IS arrangement.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Yes, this may be done. You will probably need a certified shop to create the ports necessary to run the tubing through the enclosure wall.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
rbalex said:
Yes, this may be done. You will probably need a certified shop to create the ports necessary to run the tubing through the enclosure wall.

I gather you mean UL by certified?

I was thinking about this last night. Does UL allow you to bring impulse lines into any electrical enclosure?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
In general I would ? I don?t believe any other NRTLs certify shops under various fabrication programs. Although several have field certification programs.

I am not qualified to verify that an assembly meets appropriate product standards, but I do trust UL certified fabrications shops to. This is just the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.