Class 1 div 1 group D

Status
Not open for further replies.

sokkerdude

How or where would I find if the area below stored lignite (coal) in a silo would be Class 1 div 1 group D.. I have a drawing that has this are classfied as both Class 1 div 1 group D and Class 2 div 1 group F? thank you

jdsmith

sokkerdude said:
How or where would I find if the area below stored lignite (coal) in a silo would be Class 1 div 1 group D.. I have a drawing that has this are classfied as both Class 1 div 1 group D and Class 2 div 1 group F? thank you

Maybe it's both? Class 1 is dealing with vapors and Class 2 is dusts, so it doesn't seem impossible for an area to be both classifications.

sokkerdude

If it is both, why would they need to identify it on the drawing with two different classification ? Everything would have to be a least class 1 div 1. We are all confused here, we can't understand were they are getting the class 1 div 1 group1. from? Any help would be greatly appreciated

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Section 500.6(B) FPN No. 3 alludes to your question. Don't be put off just because it follows the definition of Group G; the FPNs apply to the entire Section.

The “key” is that coal will always have more than 8% entrapped volatiles. Those volatiles are mostly methane with a few heavier molecules. See 500.6(B)(2).

Class I rated equipment is not automatically suitable for Class II. If a location has mixed Classifications, equipment must be specifically identified for both of them.

Edit Add: Forgot the reference to Section500.6(B)(2) in the second paragraph.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.